help with getting thorns out of pups feet

jfreeman GSP

help with getting thorns out of pups feet

Post by jfreeman GSP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm

My pup is 3 and a half months old and when I need to pull thorns out of his feet he doesn't
much like it and will try to get away or lightly nip at your hand, how do you'll get the dog
conditioned to allowing this.
Thanks
Jimmy

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: help with getting thorns out of pups feet

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Play with his paws as much as possible. Just hold him in your lap and rub his toes between your fingers. This will help when you need to trim his nails too. Actually you need to be able to put your hands on any part of his body without him caring if you do. Whole body rub downs are great. This will help with training later on.

Doug

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 pm

With the nipping I will reprimand that by putting my hand in the pups mouth and will make the pup think he is going to choke to death for about 10 plus seconds...

then resume first just touching the paws getting the pup relaxed with that and then try for the thorns

After that you need to work on in tiny little session getting the pup to hold still when you put your hands on...start by when the pup moves to lift up until the pup relaxes then put back on surface either table or ground when pup moves pick up till settled and then back down once you get the pup to stand for a second or two then give a release tap or give a release command

once you get the pup to stand still when you put hands on then start to stroke the dog down the back and legs again make short tiny session as you begin as the dog begins to get the idea then lengthen session by a few seconds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:54 am

I like Ricky Ticky and kinnene advice.

I will hold completely still while some one rubs my belly and feet. :wink:
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 am

Its pretty easy to get him conditioned to it. Just play with his feet a lot, even when he has no thorns. Right now he is probably associating you playing with his feet with pain. Use treats if you need to or even have someone hold him until he gets used to it.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

jfreeman GSP

Post by jfreeman GSP » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks all for the advice I do gently play with his feet while he is in my lap watching tv and
it seems to have helped, thanks again.

A/C Guy

Who is the Big dog?

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:12 pm

If your dog reacts that way to you for any reason, then you are not dominant. No matter how much discomfort or dislike he may have, he should NEVER nip you. We use belly rubs to teach the dog that we are dominant. Put the dog on his back and make him stay there and rub his belly. We also lay across the dogs' head. That teaches him submissiveness and that you are dominant. Our vet commented to us the first time he did a rectal thermometer temp reading that he was pleasantly surprised how well our intact male behaved during the exam while I had my hand on the dog's head.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.