Collar Condition to here

capthunterdude

Collar Condition to here

Post by capthunterdude » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 pm

I have a 5.5 month old GSP and I just got my ecollar. I am following the Fowl Dogs training system as well as the 10 minute retriever, as I will be molding this pup into more retriever/ flusher than pointer. I want to collar condition to here pretty soon as the pup likes to not abide. How long should I have to wait for the pup to simply just wear the collar around before I start to use it? I have been placing it on him anytime he goes out for anything "fun". I am sure he knows what the command means already also.

jakethebirddog

Re: Collar Condition to here

Post by jakethebirddog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 pm

You are doing good already by associating the collar with fun activities. IMO, I would wait at the very least a week, but preferable two weeks for him to get used to it, and forget its there.

When you do begin turning the collar on, make sure you find the lowest level your dog will respond to and start with that.

Good luck
Tony

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:08 am

I usually let them wear it a month, and make sure I always associate it with fun. Whenever the pup goes out to play or run, he begs fro the collar before I let him out. After he is begging for the collar, I will very gently touch him with it when I command HERE. Just gently, so he only quizzically tilts his head. Don't do it often. Pretty soon he'll start responding. When he does, praise the heck out of him. At this age NEVER hurt the pup with the collar.

Keep this in mind though: If, for months, you use the collar only for HERE, that will become the pups default response to the collar and it will make teaching him whoa, fetch, etc. all somewhat harder. As with all training, it's balance.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Don't forget to use a check cord when first collar conditioning to here. You need to make sure it's very clear to your dog how to turn off the stimulus. Just in case he does not comply, use the collar in addition with the check cord to reel him in.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm

you can have the dog wear the collar at any age really as long as you dont turn it on and just want to start to collar condition. start using pressure only after the dog has been obedience trained with a check cord.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:34 am

capthunterdude wrote:I have a 5.5 month old GSP and I just got my ecollar. I am following the Fowl Dogs training system as well as the 10 minute retriever, as I will be molding this pup into more retriever/ flusher than pointer. I want to collar condition to here pretty soon as the pup likes to not abide. How long should I have to wait for the pup to simply just wear the collar around before I start to use it? I have been placing it on him anytime he goes out for anything "fun". I am sure he knows what the command means already also.
The wearing of the collar prior to conditionng is over rated, in my opinion. Many times at seminars, a dog will go through conditioning that has never worn one. What's more important is making sure he wears one anytime you train, once conditioning has begun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDM78DYARc

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum