Changing come to here

capthunterdude

Changing come to here

Post by capthunterdude » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

I realize why people have gone away from using come to recall their hunting dogs. I have been using the command come to recall but would like to switch it to here. Is this possible or should I just go with what I have? I know that the command has been used before but it seems like everyone that comes into contact with my pup calls come at him and don't understand the importance of the word they are using. If I change it to here I could elimate meaningless commands by others.

jlp8cornell

Re: Changing come to here

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 pm

You can easily switch the commands. Work with him on a leash/checkcord first. Lots of praise. He will learn fast. I use "Come" for a formal obedience recall and "here" for a recall in the field where he goes to heel position instead of sitting in front.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 pm

I did the same thing some years back. What I did was use the command, "come here," for awhile and then drop the word "come" and just use the word "here." It took a couple of weeks but worked just fine.

anb

Post by anb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

I have recently gone through this also. I had been using "come', then when the bf started hunting her too he would say "here". After thinking about it, I knew I had to choose one or the other, I decided "here" was a better command, also since it is close sounding to "heel". I proceeded as 3Britts and transitioned with "come here". Now she will respond to either. If you have used a whistle or hand commands in training, use these too, I'm sure it will make it "click" easier.

good luck!
Andrea

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

another easy way- use your dogs name first- don't allow others to call or comand your dog

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Shadow wrote:another easy way- use your dogs name first- don't allow others to call or comand your dog
This is what I do. FWIW.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 pm

I have trained with saying "Queen, here". She also returns to the whistle (coaches stlye whistle).

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

CHD,
These gentlemen are giving you good advise, I will go one step further and advise you to get a Dogtra T&B collar and use the master initiated double beep as a recall tool.
In this manner you always have complete control of you animal while hunting, and you can locate the dog immediately when the dog is on point, or working very thick cover. We don't even train with the whistles any more.
RGD/Dave