"Cross training"

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

"Cross training"

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:15 am

I have a NAVHDA bred girl now 6 months old. She is doing great and running pretty big for a 6 mo old. I have been thinking about running her in a puppy walking trial, but I know some of the NAVHDA people don't like to see trial background and visa versa. Should I stick with one venue or will she still be respected (if deserved, of course) by both if she ran in both?

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:24 am

I would do whatever pleases you, have fun and enjoy your puppy. Don't be to concerned about what others think.. I think it would be good exposure for your pup..

Mo

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am

I am not a NAVHDA person, and I do do walking trials.

As such I really could care less what you or your dog's background is. I am just glad to see you or anyone out there running their dog. If your dog will run and you enjoy working your dog in a competative environment, then I would say most deffinately go for it.

Besides as I look at it like this, any time spent out working your dog is a good thing.

Regards,

Rob :wink:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:47 pm

It should not effect what you do in NAVHDA.
brenda

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:41 pm

I spent 5 years in NAVHDA before I moved onto other things, including walking trials.

If you are interested in being "politically correct" for NAVHDA, then yes field trials are not in YOUR best interest. If your goal is to become a judge, your experience in other venues won't help things. Hunt tests are seen as "ok" but anything relates to field trials isn't looked upon very positively.

Being "respected" in NAVHDA has as much to do with who the dog's owner is, who the parents are, who your trainer is and what chapter you are involved with as the dog itself. It's just the nature of that organization.

If you're interested in what's best for YOUR DOG, then by all means run walking trials. If your goal is to run both NAVHDA UT and broke dog field trial stakes understand there are ways to develop a dog to play both games, and a particular order that you should approach the different levels of testing/trialing. Let me know if you need more info.

JMO,
Dave

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:I spent 5 years in NAVHDA before I moved onto other things, including walking trials.

If your goal is to run both NAVHDA UT and broke dog field trial stakes understand there are ways to develop a dog to play both games, and a particular order that you should approach the different levels of testing/trialing. Let me know if you need more info.JMO,Dave
Dave,
I know your offer was for mountaindogs but since I plan to enter NAVHDA and AKC test as well as run some NASTRA I would very much like to hear any suggestions. If you wouldn't mind :)

It may be better to take this off list... :wink:

Thanks
Jon

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Dave Quindt wrote: If you are interested in being "politically correct" for NAVHDA, then yes field trials are not in YOUR best interest. If your goal is to become a judge, your experience in other venues won't help things. Hunt tests are seen as "ok" but anything relates to field trials isn't looked upon very positively.
I don't really have any plans to judge or anything and am not particularly worried about what "they" think of ME. I would just hope that they would judge the dog for what she is not preconcieved notions.
I would stick to walking trials I'm sure, and really don't know how far I'd take that. I just thought it might be fun for us.
Dave Quindt wrote: If your goal is to run both NAVHDA UT and broke dog field trial stakes understand there are ways to develop a dog to play both games, and a particular order that you should approach the different levels of testing/trialing. Let me know if you need more info.

JMO,
Dave
I'd love more info, but I don't have set plans. I do know her breeder is very serious about NAVHDA and would probably have heart failure if he found out :wink: I think she could really become a great dog in many venues. She's got the best most intense but incredibly managable attitude I have seen. Great in the house, too, even with a baby/toddler in the house, she is so gentle.

So again would love more info, thanks! feel free to post here or PM me, that would be great! I've trained several hunting dogs but NAVHDA and Trials would both be new. Did run our Male through NA test but that's as far as I've gotten.
_________
Thanks all,
Laurie

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:03 am

Mtndog,

It would probably only affect you as a breeder. Larue Kennels has had difficulty with selling pups from parents that have run in both venues and he has some very well proven dogs. Personally, I run AKC and NAVHDA Hunt Test and will be getting into NSTRA as well with my new pup. Should someone not like it.... OH WELLLLL. That is additional time I get to enjoy MY dogs.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice on this... all of you.
I think I'll give it a try on the puppy trial. She is such a go getter girl, and I'd love to see what it's all about. Probably try the walking trials though.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:19 pm

mountain dogs-

no one in a walking FT would even know you have done NAVHDA. it is not on an entry form or anything else. i did the same thing 30 years ago, went from NAVHDA to run my wirehair, as a walking handler, in an AKC horseback derby stake. Was sure enlightening about the differences between the dogs. I say go for it.

for that matter, NAVHDA does not have any inspection teams watching field trials that I know of. And you are not required to list other events you have run the dog in, in your application to run in a NAVHDA event.

I say, do both. if you are worried about social acceptability, just don't tell people you have participated in the "other" venue.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:48 pm

John, BRAVO!!!

Mountain Dogs, Do whatever you chose to enjoy. I NA'd my dog when he was younger ( Prize III 94, for what it's worth) and almost finished his AKC SH title, but am starting to FT him as the primary focus. Still hope to finsih the SH title this June.

A good dog can do well in many areas!

I have friends that are hard core AKC HT people that rip trials and trial dogs all the time. You know what....they are still my friends, they apperciate the work I do with my dog and more importantly the friendship we have. The people that matter will accept you whatever you chose to do, and those that don't...%*#^ 'em.
Last edited by original mngsp on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:48 pm

I agree with all of the above as well! Get out and play the "dog games" as much as possible!

BTW.....A versatile dog should be able to do it all! :wink:

Phil
REO

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:50 pm

Don't do it! You will find that you enjoy any type of trial or test and be POOR the rest of your life!

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Very true too TAK...but we dont like to let them in on that point till they get their first passing score or placement ribbon!

Then they realize....The truck is too small, need more kennels and dogs, maybe a trailer...and what the heck a horse too boot!

You have to love the dog sports.....enough is never enough!

Phil
REO

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 pm

I used to "cross train" a little in college. You know, experiment a little.

Oh, wait that wasn't cross training..... :wink:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:03 am

TAK wrote:Don't do it! You will find that you enjoy any type of trial or test and be POOR the rest of your life!
:lol: :lol: Yeah, I'm quickly learning that one!!!