Kennel Size

capthunterdude

Kennel Size

Post by capthunterdude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 pm

My wife will be going back to work soon and the pup will have to be moved to an outdoor kennel while we are at work. He is a GSP and I know that they can be crazy hyper. This will not be his permanent home, just a place during the day. What size should I be looking at? I have an area that will accomadate a 5' wide one just not sure on the length. Would 10' be fine or should I go with a 15'

vzkennels

Re: Kennel Size

Post by vzkennels » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm

10 ft is fine,it's only to kennel the dog at times.Long as the dog gets normal excersize during the day.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I have used 4 ft W X 12 ft L kennels and they hold the 40" round igloo dog house. 6X12 works well too.
Any chain link fence company can build any sixe you want. I would also use 9 guage 2x2 or smaller wire. Harder to climb and they don't get their feet stuck.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:13 pm

either size would be find. make sure the latch is of a type that the dog will not be able to open. A top is suggested 2X4 welded wire would work for a top.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:43 am

I don't know where you live, but Tractor Supply has the best value on their AKC (now Dr. Bob) 5 X 10 kennels, it is chromed welded wire like the Prefect power coated ones, only half the cost. $279.00.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/p ... -h-3606033

If you do not have a TSC, there are some on eBay that aren't too bad, I really don't like chain link, and I will never get another light one.

Neil

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:11 am

I agree with Neil. I have one of those and they are nice and should last forever. Expandable too as you can buy the panels. TSC does have a lighter made kennel cheaper but I don't think it will hold up anywhere near like the good ones if your dog wants to fight the fence.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:34 am

CptHunter,
If you can, make your kennel of Chain link fencing and as large as possible, my mountain kennels are each 18' wide and a min of 30' long and 10' high. If you are planning to leave your dog for 8 hours or more, you also need a lid on your kennel and concrete floors. The doglow houses are nice and I have several, and an outing building also, for really bad weather. If you have trees to shade your kennel your dog will be fine, if not you will need a sun shielded area in part of the kennel. You will need to clean the kennel everyday when you leave a dog this long, set up your hose so you can clean the concrete each day. If the dog has not been kenneled before, you are also going to need a bark collar, to keep the noise down when the dog becomes frustrated. Make sure you leave some hard bones for the dog to play with, and Stainless Steal or horse approved water buckets attached to the fence are the best watering set ups. Makes sure your kennel doors are latched top and bottom, clip or lock them shut, if you have a good neighbor
that will check on your dog each day while you are gone, it really helps.
RGD/Dave

Pine Creek Kennels

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 am

Ryman,

Your big kennels sound nice but those are not needed to just put a dog in while you are at work. I have always found that you are wasting money on kennel runs that are over 4 ft wide. Spend your money for the extra length and not width as your dog will exercise by running along the fence so the longer the better. It's rather common practise for the greyhound breeders to have runs that are more than 100 ft long and many are much longer. I also like the concrete floors for there ease of cleaning but you can get by with pavers or even gravel which is great for the dogs feet. Out of all the years and many many dogs I have had in the kennels I have only found one that tried to climb them so I do not go to that expense either unless it is needed and with 6 ft sides I doubt very much if it would ever be. Since we have moved I have one permanent run that is three ft by twenty and eithr 2 or three dogs are in it during the day. It does not have a top and has a single latch door with a dog proof latch. The dogs seldom go in the run since they are only in it for eight hours at time. If you can put the run along a garage wall or some building then you can use the wall as one of the sides and also by cutting a hole for the dog to get in it makes a great place to put a house or box for them to get into.

I also bought the run that Neil refered to for emergencyies when I need to move one of mine or have someone elses dog to care for.

Just thinking of something practical for a temporary place for a dog during the day,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 am

Ezzy,
What you say is definitely true if the man needs to be money concious, however you are extremely lucky to have had only one dog that ever climbed your kennel, especially if the kennel fencing is 6' or under, and the dog was along 8 hrs every day. As you can see in the pictures my mountain kennels have no concete floors or lids, but the dogs are not completely alone for 8 hrs a day either. In reality if this gentlemen has an outing building or garage to build an inside/outside run, the dogs are much better housed. Even better a kennel room in the basement of the house, especially for just one dog, if he has the way to set it up. I still strongly recommend a lid for any kennel where the dogs are left outside by themselves, for 8 hours at a time, for the money spent it a very good investment. A dog left outside for 8 hours every day
when the master is at work, should not be housed in what some call a temporary kennel set up.
RGD/Dave