Dog running off

fatboyoutdoors

Dog running off

Post by fatboyoutdoors » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Have been working my 14 month old GSP on a check cord and he works well. Take the cord off, and off he goes..running like a crazy freak chasing everything with no control. I haven't exposed him to a shock collar. Is this the key? Also, what about taking his jewels...will this settle him down? I have only had the dog a couple of weeks. Has good basic discipline, very needy for attention. I am new to the game...need suggestions.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog running off

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:02 pm

fatboyoutdoors wrote: what about taking his jewels...will this settle him down? .
No!
LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
Studies have proven that neutering a male will increase the chances of getting cancer by a factor of EIGHT TIMES compared to an intact dog.

You need to work on basic obedience. Then possibly add an e-collar to your training.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 pm

fatboyoutdoors wrote:Have been working my 14 month old GSP on a check cord and he works well. Take the cord off, and off he goes..running like a crazy freak chasing everything with no control.
So why take it off? Really. You are creating a check-cord wise monster. Put the cord on. Leave it on. Run him down and jerk his chain with it if he gets too familiar. Going from the house to the car? Put the CC on. Turning him out in the yard to pee? Put the CC on. Going for a walk in the field? Put the CC on. When you ABSOLUTELY KNOW, without a doubt that he will NEVER disobey if you take the CC off, leave it on for another month.

When you have finished obedience training your dog and he is reliable, run him without the CC.

Cheaper than buying an e-collar and nagging the dog for the rest of his life because you didn't train him.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 am

E-collars are a great tool to reinforce commands your dog already knows. Like come. I highly recommend that you purchase an e-collar.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 am

Don't purchase an e-collar yet, before all of this, I'd start working obedience with the dog and creating that bond. If you've only had him for a couple weeks, you have to gain his trust, let him know who's the alpha, and make him realize that the previous obedience training (if any) must also be applied to you. Work him as you would a puppy on the check cord. Even if it's a 50 ft long cord, make sure that when you command HERE, you're able to reel him back in if he doesn't decide to listen. After he understands compliance relieves pressure, then start e-collar conditioning.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:38 pm

slistoe wrote:
fatboyoutdoors wrote:Have been working my 14 month old GSP on a check cord and he works well. Take the cord off, and off he goes..running like a crazy freak chasing everything with no control.
So why take it off? Really. You are creating a check-cord wise monster. Put the cord on. Leave it on. Run him down and jerk his chain with it if he gets too familiar. Going from the house to the car? Put the CC on. Turning him out in the yard to pee? Put the CC on. Going for a walk in the field? Put the CC on. When you ABSOLUTELY KNOW, without a doubt that he will NEVER disobey if you take the CC off, leave it on for another month.

When you have finished obedience training your dog and he is reliable, run him without the CC.

Cheaper than buying an e-collar and nagging the dog for the rest of his life because you didn't train him.
good point slistoe-
the dog is 14 months old- you've only had him for 2 weeks- criminy sakes- you ever heard of you need to bond first-

fatboyoutdoors

Post by fatboyoutdoors » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the help...good stuff....he is getting better everyday!

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 am

Have you tried whistle training? I introduced my puppy to the whistle right away. Pup him on teh check cord, I use two toots on the whistle and pull him in and treat. Keep doing it over and over again until he associates the whistle with come. I had my puppy tear after a quail last week and run right back after I whistled for him.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:36 am

slistoe wrote:

X2!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 am

So wht is wrong with a year old pup runnibng and chasing every thing that moves when he fially gets a chance to be free. I would let him run till he tires and then do it more often till it isn't such a big deal to him but it sounds to me he needs the exercise.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 am

You get on a training routine, an exercise routine, feed routine and all of that, as stated bond. At 14 months he needs structure and confidence. Other wise a dog that loves to be free running etc. That is good. An ecollar is a great training tool but if you have never used one than learn how first. In my opinion, one should be able to and know how to, train a dog with out the ecollar, first. Training is all about timing, reading a dog, compliance and PROPER CORRECTION, AND PROPER REWARD.

LEAVE HIS NUTS ALONE. I am of the opinion if one is to get a dog fixed wait until they are fully developed phyically, muscle and bone. 2 to 3 years. No science onthis jsut my feelings.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick