Too early for JH Test?

Lexus423

Too early for JH Test?

Post by Lexus423 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 am

Hello All,

My local GSPCA chapter is holding a hunt test in a few weekends and I wanted to know if my dog is ready. He is a 6 month old German Shorthaired pointer. He is obidience trained and has been out in the field since he was a puppy. He has been trained with birds several times but does not have the pointing down completely.

The members of my club say that it is fun and good for him while my breeder said not to do it because if he starts chasing birds he will be harder to train later on. Im in no rush for his title but would really like him to get some good experience in the field. Any suggestions?

Also, what would I need to bring for the hunt test>?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Too early for JH Test?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:05 pm

If he was mine I would enter him. I do not worry about a pup that age chasing a bird unless he won't. Then I worry. I think it is hard to expect a pup to point if it has never had the experience of chasing and not catching a bird. After doing that a few times he will start figuring out there is a better way and he will start pointing.

It's just my way of doing things but I do not train for a natural ability type test and that is exactly what a JH test is. Take him and find out just what he will do and not do naturally. If you have to train "natural ability" I think we have a problem calling it natural.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:22 pm

I say do it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Absolutely enter him. Get your feet wet, meet some fine people and enjoy yourself.

The judges are there to help your dog be successful. I remember my first CKC hunt test. I was so nervous I forgot to shoot and walked off the field. :roll: The judge called me back to shoot over the dog. He didn't care about me particularly ; he wanted to know if the dog could be shot over.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm

Like has been stated above JH has nothing to do with training,it's all about natural instincts so if your pup likes birds I see no reason to hold back.
GO FOR IT :!:

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

If you wait, you might as well wait until your dog is ready for Senior Hunt tests.

I would do it. JH is more for fun and gauging the natural ability, anyway.
At least that is why I do them. (this will get me in trouble)

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I would say do it as well.....but do not expect him to not catch the birds. I know it depends on the club, but i know of several hunt tests that I, and others i've spoken to, have been involved in suffer from poor (or worse non) flying birds. If i'm ever going to run another JH hunt test it will be at the age of your dog so i can test his natural ability before i invest any real time in training. I ran a couple of 1 plus year old dogs who were standing their wild birds nicely and the JH test didn't do them, or I, any favors. Both dogs pointed birds and held point for me to flush them and land within a couple of feet. I couldn't even fire my blank pistol before they landed (started pistol, akc paperwork, entry form, lead, collar etc. are things you'll need) JMO

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:09 pm

I also say go for it. I attended my first hunt test seveal years ago with 2 of my Brittanys that had very limited exposure to birds (I don't hunt) but both are from strong field lines so I wanted to see what they could do. I was petrified to turn my dogs off leash, but it was a great location and we were far from any roads. They both actually did pretty well, but didn't point any birds. Ironically their lowest scores were in the trainability portion & obedience was the one area we did compete in.

I will say the club members were super nice to me as a newcomer (& as a woman in a more male dominated sport) & lent me a starter pistol to use. I knew the handler of one of my brace mates & she was super nice as was one of the judges (I knew her from shows). I will say the other judge was a little less nice to me. But I still had a good time and would certainly try it again.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

Kory

Post by Kory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm

I would say that as long as the dog has been properly introduced to the blank gun then JH test can be a lot of fun. To run in the hunt test you will need a blank gun, flash color and some test they require you to ware a blaze orange but most of the time the club or someone at the test will have everything there that you can borrow but it dosn't hurt to be prepared just in case.

Kory

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful posts. He ran in his first JH test over the weekend and scored all 8's. Not bad for a 6 month old puppy. He was able to find and point 3 birds in the 15 minute time. Cant wait for his next leg in a few weeks.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 am

good for you guys!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 am

I would be more concerned about gunfire than about the puppy chasing birds. If the puppy handles gunfire OK, then I say go for it.

The one thing that makes me nervous about JH is the abundance of green handlers and their blank guns. They don't always think to look where their gun is pointed when they fire, and they end up shooting it in the other dog's face, or in the judge's horse's face, etc. When I'm running a dog in JH, I'm always keeping an eye on what the other handler is doing and where my dog is in relation.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"