starting my GSP

jimbo&rooster

starting my GSP

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:50 pm

so... i have a 5mo GSP male that I intend to train to primarily hunt quail, the problem is that there are not a whole lot of wild birds around for training. I bought a 1/2 dozen quail and have been using them to intro him to birds and gunfire using a starter pistol (thought he might have had a noise issue but we seem to have gotten through that). so far I have not done much formal training, mostly I have been working on here with him, and I take him out 3-4days a week to let him run and "hunt". on these runs he has encountered one covey of quail, a couple of rabbits, and here recently we have been getting into alot of woodcock. I am waiting on the Ben O. Williams book to use to train my pup, but until then I was wondering if there is anything I am doing that I shouldnt be or if there is anything im not doing that I should be doing?
this last weekend he did point his first wild bird for a second (woodcock), and again today he pointed a woodcock for a second before it flushed on him. he will also retrieve with a little help from the check cord.
thanks
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: starting my GSP

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Doug

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Sounds like you're doing a good job. The only thing I do differently is to use pigeons at that age instead of quail - harder flying birds that don't land nearby.

Just take it slowly ; all that field work on wild birds is wonderful. If you look at the " Next Year's Derby " thread on the forum, you can see that even at 1 year the dog is still getting it together.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Titan_Up

Post by Titan_Up » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 am

Sounds like my situation....Not a lot of wild birds where I live. I did bring home some wings (chukar, pheasant) and put them out in the yard...My weim is now 4 months and goes into the yard looking for the wings and uses her nose to find them when hidden. She'll carry them around and play. Will be getting her on some quail soon. No formal training yet....just play.

Keep me posted on how the GSP progresses....it'll be interesting to watch their progression.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 am

yeah ive got several chuckar and phez wings but good ol rooster has no desire to point them. i have however just tossed them out in to the woods as i drove by and run him backthrough and he doe s find em and retrieve them.

i do have a question for you more experienced trainers..... I have a lab that I have used to do some bird hunting both wild and pen raised birds and she is a hunting machine. I have been told that it is a bad idea to run my pointing breed pup with my flusher. is this true? seems to me that he is still pointing the birds that he encounters and he will actually go off and do his own thing away from her but he gets out and covers more ground when they are together. i dont take my lab when I am going to plant birds and will be running him alone for his first season of hunting. just wondered if I should leave my lab at home when i take him out to run? or if its still cool to take them both out?
jim

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Forget the wings. Real birds or nothing. Just my opinion. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Titan_Up

Post by Titan_Up » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm

? for you guys....

Is doing nothing at all with scent better than working with wings? Is this the concensus
Forget the wings. Real birds or nothing
I dont' have access to birds very frequently only occasionally.

With the wings hidden in the yard/bushes, my weim is pointing. Have played fetch with those, she seems more interested in fetching with the wing than fetching a toy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:46 pm

It won't do any harm probably but what you want is for the young dog to scent a bird and then see the bird take off when pup moves. This is how a young dog learns that he can't catch the bird, the bird will take off if I move so I'd better learn to hold my spot.
It takes birds to make a bird dog. One of the most difficult parts of training for we regular folk is to figure out how to have regular access to birds. I keep mine in the garage as I live in the city. ( My husband hasn't left yet.) :)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:46 pm

I also have a 30x30in rabbit hutch in my garage where I keep half a dozen quail at a time. usually use one at a time and card them when I use em and then can get them back. The ones that dont make it through training get breasted and end up in the freezer :D
jim

my wife hasnt left over it yet either

Titan_Up

Post by Titan_Up » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:38 am

Thanks for the input...it has been more of throw and fetch than anything else.

D2shorthairs

Post by D2shorthairs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 am

I have to agree with Sharon, the more wild or wild flying birds you can put your dog on the better. Having to find wild birds in their own habitat is even better. Don't get in a rush, sounds like your doing great. A young dog can learn from an older dog if the older dog is very steady and can help locate wild birds. But if the younger dog disrupts the older dog or if your lab is moving in to flush birds your young dog will learn that too. The dogs could get to competing over who will flush the bird and IMO that is bad news. Your pup will range out farther as he gets older, more confidence and more bird exposer.

David

SamnTuck

Post by SamnTuck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 am

I have a pretty small 7 month old male GSP who is just starting to put everything together. We had a tough time getting on grouse this winter because of the snow, but the last week has been phenomenal. In two trips to the woods, we've had at least 10 flushes and he has had some really solid wild bird contacts. Each time, he has located the birds, and he is starting to understand that he can't just run like crazy at them--he's been showing a lot of promise as a chipmunk pointer as well. Ha.

He's my first pointer, but I'm already seeing that the experts are 100% correct about wild birds; if you can get on some, you'll be surprised at how quickly these pups catch on!

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

i agree with the pigeon comment. all i use for months is homing pigeons. a pointing dog owners best friend is a homing pigeon and a remote bird launcher. once the dog is where you want him to be with pigeons then switch to game birds.