BRAND NEW GSP PUP......

jer_allen27

BRAND NEW GSP PUP......

Post by jer_allen27 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

I'm new at the forum and I have a brand new GSP puppy. Gorgeous and I would love to train her myself if thats possible but will give 100%. I'm just wondering where to start besides bonding with her. Manners first when she is ready or what? Thanks to all.

jer_allen27

Re: BRAND NEW GSP PUP......

Post by jer_allen27 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 am

Also I got her from Charles Rose of wild rose GSP s.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

I learned what to do from making mistakes , forums like this , good Pro DVD sets etc. Like any new "hobby" you have to read , read, read......and ask questions.

I can say through all my years with dogs that even the most well known trainers ( many on here), are more then willing to give you advice. I well remember , when I didn't know up from down , George Tracy having a coffee with me at a trial and giving me a million dollar critique of how I could have done better.

Asking about some recommended resources would be helpful to you.

Step 1: Get pup out into the woods /field often - where walking conditions are not too rough. Let pup explore and develop confidence. A young pup will not run away . Do not keep calling pup back to you. Shhhhh.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:08 pm

hey bud Im a couple months ahead of you and all I can say from my own experience is that the more I get my pup in the field the more I can see him start to "hunt" i learned with hounds that you could make a dog tree (point in our case) but you cant teach a dog to cover ground and really hunt, they learn that on their own. good luck and have fun.
jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jer_allen27

Post by jer_allen27 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

What videos or Books would you recommend that would be the best tool to learn. I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I keep my screw ups minimal.
Jer

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:34 am

Huntsmith - "perfect Start" If a seminar comes to your area, don't miss it.

Hickox - " Great Beginnings"

http://www.huntsmith.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jer_allen27

Post by jer_allen27 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Would it be a good idea to attend training classes for manners like sit, stay, etc. to help bond with her since she is going to be inside with the family most of the time while she is a puppy?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

I think so. The big trainers on here don't have time for that but I always go to Puppy Classes etc. It's great for a dog's socialization and you always learn things from the on site trainer. It's fun for the owner too.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 am

I would stay away from obedience classes atleast untill the pup has one hunting season.
Sit is not something you want to teach your pup for awhile,You can look in the archives on the sit subject no sense to argue it all over AGAIN.
The pup needs to learn boldness,independence,& too much obedience at an early age can stifle that. :D