Treelines and other objectives

nowicki2005

Treelines and other objectives

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 am

How do you work on handling a dog to work a whole tree line or move from objective to objective? I know that some of this is natural but I'm sure there is a training process as well...

Maurice

Re: Treelines and other objectives

Post by Maurice » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 am

Birds planted in the right places will teach the young dogs where to hunt. Roading on lines and edges also helps if the dog is older.

Mo

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 am

nowicki2005 wrote:How do you work on handling a dog to work a whole tree line or move from objective to objective? I know that some of this is natural but I'm sure there is a training process as well...
If you have wild birds, it shouldn't take the dog long to learn. If wild birds are scarce, plant some birds in those areas until he is finding them consistently.

Charlie

oops, Maurice beat me to it.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 am

no wild birds to be found by me lol. I did think he kicked up a woodcock though today which is a rarity as I'm sure there are only about 2 in the area.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:49 am

They are trained to stay on line, first by being put back there with horse or 4 wheeler, then when understood with an e-collar. I have seen few puppies that will finish a mile long soy bean field.

This is definitely graduate school stuff, the average amateur is more likely to screw up a nice dog than help it. Best left to a pro.

Neil