new dk

birddog1220

new dk

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:18 am

i have a young dk pup(almost7mths) and i am noticing that he isnt realy intrested in birds yet. i have seen and help train quite a few,and noticed that some of the dogs his age had a bit more bird drive. i know not to compare him to the other dogs ive seen,hes strong in water and tracking weak on pointing kinda give and take thing. i have also noticed that most most of the dk pups ive seen are slow matures? or am i jumping the gun? i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem or noticed the same thing

thanks jim ritze

DK Dogs

Post by DK Dogs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm

I would just keep on hunting the dog. Things will fall into place. Keep in mind that your dealing with a very young dog and this is all new to him. Dogs are just like people some learn faster then others and some mature faster then others. The best training right now would be exposier and hunting

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Jim,

Keep him in contact with birds, he will get the idea. Make sure he doesn't get a chance to catch any though.

To generalize and say that DK's are slow maturers is not correct. We have 4 month old DK pups here pointing and tracking already. Main thing is, let him be a puppy. To many people put way to much pressure on young pups, whether it be pointing tracking or retrieving. Take a breath and take your time, you will have a better dog for it.

Will we see you at the annual meeting in St Louis in April?

Phil
REO

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:31 pm

yes im pretty sure ill be attending the meeting.rite now my problem is im laid off rite now so i have nothing but time to mess with the pup. ill take your advice and lay off the obiedience training and try to keep him more on birds thanks for the advice

jim ritze

DK Dogs

Post by DK Dogs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:48 pm

Jim
Just wondering which dog you have? What breeding is it from
Thanks
Dave
www.vomroyalshorthairs.com

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:54 pm

hi dave,my pup is from the w litter at kings kennels. i would assume you know rob and willie,really great people. the male is master von der stolzen au and the female is cassie vom riverwoods. i know the female but dont know the male, have you herd of him? rob said that it was a good breeding.