Training??!?!!?!

DAISYISMYDOG

Training??!?!!?!

Post by DAISYISMYDOG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 pm

For season should I purposly train my dog? I mean like physical. Running and swimming. How can I make sure she gets enough excercise and not get tired when shes bringin back a duck, often. OH yeah, Dont want her to be fat like her brother.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Training??!?!!?!

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 am

As she gets older 6 months or so. You can have a formal training routine, but for now just do you field work, introducing her to water and gun. Work on retriever manners etc. Make sure she gets out and runs and plays.

Once she is 6 months or so then you can start short runs and swims, Swimming is great exercise and easier on the joints of a young large dog, especially a Lab. As hunting season gets within Two or three months, make sure she is in condition even later in her life. A dog can not get into shape in just a few weeks.

GH is/was a retriever trainer before his pointing dog carreer, He probably will have a bit more sound advise.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 am

DAISYISMYDOG wrote:For season should I purposly train my dog? I mean like physical. Running and swimming. How can I make sure she gets enough excercise and not get tired when shes bringin back a duck, often. OH yeah, Dont want her to be fat like her brother.
In direct response, "yes", physical conditioning is an important factor in a gundog. It's far too often overlooked.

How old is your dog, and what training has he had?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

DAISYISMYDOG

Post by DAISYISMYDOG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 am

shes 9 and a half weeks. shed can sit stay lay and come and potty trained

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:32 am

The best thing you can do for yourself and your dog is to spend time with the dog now and bond with it. Have fun with the dog, play, take walks and where it is safe, let her run off lead to explore, stretch those little muscles and leant to keep track f where you are.

Be someone the dog wants to be around and that means be positive, encouraging and patient while being consistent and persistent in your play training.

If the dog likes you and wants to be around you, there is no end of things that you can train the dog to do for you. Future training will be easier becasue the dog is happy and wants to please you. If the dog fears you and is uncomfortable around you, any future training is gong to be harder...much harder.

There is a huge difference between respect and fear when it comes to training.

RayG

DAISYISMYDOG

Post by DAISYISMYDOG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks. You guys are great!

mmduncan

Post by mmduncan » Sat May 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I am surprised that no one has said it yet but up to a few months of age the one thing you should be focusing on is SOCIALIZATION!! Get out and take her to to new places introduce her to all of the people you can expose her to all the smells she will encounter when she is hunting and training. Many people overlook this part of training and in my opinion it is one of the most important things you can do to start a pup down the right track. Also formal obedience should really start at about 6 months for a retriever, she will be big enough for you to make the corrections and you will notice that she is just learning how to learn. Physical conditioning is very important and if you are actually out socializing the dog she will get plenty of it. By introducing her to new places and things with you by her side you are bonding and you are gaining her trust. Just have fun with her while she's a pup and dont get a big hurry to train her overnight. Just think if you take your time and do it right you will be able to enjoy your huntin buddy for another 12-13 years. good luck.
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "KODA"
Duncan's Haulin a Limit "LIMIT"

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat May 01, 2010 1:04 pm

For a little over 12 years from late 80's thru the 90's as a family we raised 6 guide dog pups (5 German Shepherds, 1 Lab) and bred 3 litters of Golden pups for the program. One thing we learned early on with the first pup was to introduce her to at least 25 new people a week. Daily outings into public, places normal people can't take dogs but with their "Guide Dog in Training" yellow jackets on they were accepted most anywhere even markets and restaurants. Even though you can't do that you can take them outside any store and let anyone interested pet your pup and offer her a tiny food treat. As many sights and sounds you can find early on will help in the future more than you will know.