Crying Puppy

lawoodcocker

Crying Puppy

Post by lawoodcocker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:21 pm

I have a 10 week old Llewellin Setter that I have had for 3 weeks. We first kept her in the hiuse for 3 days than put her in a kennel at night with a 13 year old brittany. They get along. The old dog puts up with her but the pup relentlessly irritates her. In the morning about 7:00 am, the pup begins to bark and whine for long peroids of time. When I am at work, i let the old dog out the kennel to give her a break. The pup cries most of the day, my wife says.
I taught the old dog to be quiet when she was young by hiding nearby and scolding her when she whined. Now she never makes a peep. I have done it with the pup now for a few days when I have caught her in the act. She will stop for a short time but is soon back at it. Any suggestions?

A/C Guy

Re: Crying Puppy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:52 pm

The dog needs more attention. You should be out with him before 7 so he doesn't have a reason to cry.

Why buy a dog then keep it penned up all day?
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:38 pm

I think you are expecting old dog to be babysitter. I would not put them together at all, but give each one their time out. The pup will respect it with time. Try to spend more time with pup individually.
brenda

lawoodcocker

Post by lawoodcocker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm

The pup is now 12 weeks old. She is much better. The only time she barks now is when she plays with the older dog. I figured she would grow out of it as I assume she has. She just did it for a longer peroid than any other dog I have had. The longest I had one cry was maybe 5 days, where as she did it for over 2 weeks.