Won't pick up woodcock

lawoodcocker

Won't pick up woodcock

Post by lawoodcocker » Sat May 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Today, after doing some live quail work with my 12 week old llewellin setter and a buddies gsp, I tossed a frozen quail for both dogs to fetch. Both made nice retrieves. We then threw a frozen woodcock. Neither dog picked it up. I understand that this is common. How would we overcome this? Woodcock is what we hunt 90% of the time here in La.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Won't pick up woodcock

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun May 02, 2010 5:45 am

lawoodcocker wrote:Today, after doing some live quail work with my 12 week old llewellin setter and a buddies gsp, I tossed a frozen quail for both dogs to fetch. Both made nice retrieves. We then threw a frozen woodcock. Neither dog picked it up. I understand that this is common. How would we overcome this? Woodcock is what we hunt 90% of the time here in La.
Hunt him through his first year and dont worry about it. If it's still a problem after this season, ff him over the winter.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 am

I would force fetch him over the summer. As it sounds like you already know, dogs tend to not like retrieving woodcock because of the feathers or something, similar to a dove in terms of like.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Some times they like the fresh woodcock. Sometimes they never want to retrieve them no mater what. FF will fix it regardless, as stated.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick