training with birds off-season

anb

training with birds off-season

Post by anb » Sun May 02, 2010 10:44 am

My GSP is now 10 months old. We didn't really get on upland birds much last fall, so I was thinking about buying some live birds for training this summer. Something fun to do in the off-season without the pressure. Most of our hunting has been just getting out into the woods and exploring, although she has retrieved a few ducks and squirrel that I have shot. Other than that we haven't been lucky enough to see much of anything and the few partridge and rabbits we have seen, I of course didn't have much of a shot and missed. :( I have read about planting birds and also moving the wing feathers so the birds can't fly and the dog has to track it. Wondering if you could set up a scenario where you plant the birds, have dog find and point, then move on to add a flush and shoot - or is this only allowed during actual hunting season even if they are your own birds? Seems like a grey area to me, but it is done during field trials out of season though. There is someone fairly local where I could buy ringnecks (6 week or adult) or jumbo quail (day old, 6 week, or adult). Any recommendations out there ?
Appreciate it,
Andrea

quailrunner

Re: training with birds off-season

Post by quailrunner » Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 am

I think your first step is to find out about the regulations of your state. Give your game and fish dept. a call so that you are clear on the laws. While you may not be able to use any birds like pheasant or quail in your state, you may be able to use chukars or pigeons or whatever. You don't want to make that pup of yours a convicted felon at only 10 months, life can be rough on ex-cons. My state for example requires a recall pen permit, a propagators permit, or a importation permit, but no permit at all if I buy 10 birds or less from a licensed gamebird propagator and use those birds in one day of training. I can not keep the birds overnight and must keep the bill of sale of the birds with me at all times. Lots of laws!!
Good luck!

anb

Post by anb » Tue May 04, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the info quailrunner! I did a little research and found out the propagator permit I would need is only $27 for two years. This would allow me to raise and keep the birds, as well as use them for training. I would have never thought to look up propagation permit. Laws laws laws. At least my pup won't be an outlaw! :lol:
andrea

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 pm

If you don't mind dealin with smelly birds, go for it! Just be sure to keep it exciting and fun, making sure to not get too predictable. How much spa e and what type of cover do you have?

anb

Post by anb » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

Where I am living now is very small land (under 1 acre), although there are a fair amount of woods behind our house (at least 20 acres). The place I would be moving to during the summer has 5 acres plus unlimited woods around the land, very few houses on the road. Cover is pretty thick in both places - heavily wooded, undergrowth and blowdowns, also forested area nearby. Sounding like quail is the way to go since they recall and don't kill each other as I have read that pheasant can do. Any opinions on how many birds for one dog one summer?
-Andrea-

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Pigeons also work well, and if you don't shoot them you would only need ten or so. Get them young and it shouldn't be hard to get them homing.

If you go with quail I'm assuming you would use a Johnny house of some sort, correct?

anb

Post by anb » Mon May 10, 2010 7:46 am

Yes, I would make some type of pen/ house for them. Probably wouldn't start anything until the beginning of June though, so I have a bit of time to get things ready and make final decisions.
Andrea

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 14, 2010 8:18 pm

You need to give some thought to predator protection for the birds if you plan to have them very long. Here's one article to read through to get some ideas: http://www.fieldtrialpointers.net/penraised.html

Although the author is working with 45 acres, some of the advice from his lessons learned will still apply.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it