Training Equipment

Kedabosch

Training Equipment

Post by Kedabosch » Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 am

I just got my puppy a few days ago. He is an 8 wk old Chocolate Lab named Cosmo, with champion hunters as parents. This will hopefully be my first gun-dog. Therefore my first time doing gun-dog training. My question is: What equipment do I need. I am for sure getting one of thesehttp://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Blank-P ... serts.html. I am not sure about the other retrieving/tracking equipment I should get. Do I need an E-Collar, should I use scents ETC. I plan on hunting: quail, doves, ducks, chukar partridge, and turkey for fowl. I also would like to use him for tracking down large game if the initial shot doesn't kill. For large game I will be hunting: mule deer, whitetail, Big Horn Sheep, elk , and pronghorn.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kevin and Cosmo.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Equipment

Post by BigShooter » Mon May 03, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you're pumped!

First things first. The only equipment you'll need for the next few months at least is a good supply of CDs & books about the training of birddogs, labs in particular. Right now you will just need stuff for a puppy: a crate, collar & leash, puppy chow, lots of paper toweling and a large bottle of Pet Stain & Odor Remover for those accidents that will happen. Maybe some earplugs for the first few nights of the puppy's whining, barking & crying as well.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Kedabosch

Post by Kedabosch » Mon May 03, 2010 12:56 pm

We had all that before we got the pup. He did have a bit of whineing the first few nights but has started to calm down. So just need DVDs CDs and books for now. Got it. Those should help me figure out what other equipment to buy.

mmduncan

Post by mmduncan » Mon May 03, 2010 1:46 pm

I think a really good place to start is by buying a dvd called "duck dog basics" with chris akin who is for sure one of the best trainers out there. just google it I think its around $20 it focuses just as much on new handlers as well as what to do from bringing the pup home to a finished gun dog. Be sure to take him everywhere you can and really get him socialized. Good luck.
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "KODA"
Duncan's Haulin a Limit "LIMIT"

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 pm

I thought labs were born socialized! :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Fowl Dawgs is an excellent program to follow also.

For now, puppy dummies or paint rollers, a small 1/8" 30' check cord, a pigeon supply, and a collar and leash. No scents, no electric collar yet. That's all you need now. Your supplies can grow as the pup does.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Fowl Dawgs is an excellent program to follow also.

For now, puppy dummies or paint rollers, a small 1/8" 30' check cord, a pigeon supply, and a collar and leash. No scents, no electric collar yet. That's all you need now. Your supplies can grow as the pup does.
GH, You can't leave him hanging ... you have to tell him how you want his 8 week old puppy on a check cord interacting with the pigeons.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Kedabosch

Post by Kedabosch » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Are you talking about live pigeons? If so how do I get ahold of them? The dummies or rollers are easy enough to find, have a collar and leash. Will need to get a 30' check cord. If he needs interaction with live birds I live near an open field where hundreds of quail live. Would that work?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 03, 2010 6:28 pm

BigShooter wrote:

GH, You can't leave him hanging ... you have to tell him how you want his 8 week old puppy on a check cord interacting with the pigeons.
Ok. I want them handling live birds from 6-7 weeks on. I want them so birdy they grow feathers out their ears! Take a pigeon, rubber band the feet together and either tie the wings together, put the bird in your girl friends panty hose, or just run a strip of duct tape around the bird so it's wings can't flap. Now gently toss the poor little birdie a few feet and turn pup loose. Don't toss it much more than that or you'll kill the bird. Don't worry if it take him a while to pick it up; it's new to him. Now, when he picks it up, very GENTLY pull him back to you softly commanding "here". If you lay on the ground you're less imposing and the pup will come to you more willingly.

When he gets to you, DON'T TAKE THE BIRD!!! Let him proudly parade around you for a few seconds, then take the bird, praising him greatly. Don't do it more than three times.

Once he is doing this every retrieve, take the bands off the birds feet so it can walk. Throw if for pup again, no more than three of four times. When he is doing this well, take off the panty hose, (from the bird, not the girlfriend) tape the feathers on one wing together (all of the feathers on the wing) and throw it aain. It's now called a clip wing pigeon. Now, he'll have to work for the bird. It will walk, flop his wings etc. If the pup shows reluctance, back to the panty hose. Never take the chance of shying the pup from birds. That's it. Let us know how it goes.

Kedabosch

Post by Kedabosch » Mon May 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Ok is there anywhere in Northern Nevada where I can get live birds for that.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 am

Kedabosch wrote:Ok is there anywhere in Northern Nevada where I can get live birds for that.
Should be tons around Reno. Try feed stores, sport shops, newspaper, game farms, etc. Do some work. Someone ALWAYS has pigeons for sale.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue May 04, 2010 6:52 am

Kedabosch wrote:Ok is there anywhere in Northern Nevada where I can get live birds for that.
I used to live in Winnemucca and I caught my pigeons at night under I-80 overpasses and with traps around grain bins.

I would also check the NDOW big game regs about using dogs for tracking wounded game. It was illegal when I lived down there.

I also would be careful hunting upland bird with a lab early in the season down there. Make sure you hunt early in the day and bring lots of water. I remember my dogs getting real hot and they had lighter coats than a lab.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 am

Where do you live?

Kedabosch

Post by Kedabosch » Tue May 04, 2010 1:37 pm

fishvik wrote:I would also check the NDOW big game regs about using dogs for tracking wounded game. It was illegal when I lived down there.
I will do that. If its not legal of course I won't do it. But he still might be out with me as a companion.
Casper wrote:
Where do you live?
I live in the Dayton/Stagecoach area.

also would this work. http://www.gundogsupply.com/dokken-retr ... 472d4b4954