urinating in crate

surf n' turf

urinating in crate

Post by surf n' turf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:39 pm

i have a six month old setter pup that i just picked up two weeks ago. she is already loading in her crate on command and she sleeps in her crate at the foot of the bed. she sleeps in her crate all night long with no accidents, problem is when i put her in the crate during the day for a few hours she seems to always urinate in he crate. I always take her out right before i load her, but the problem persists. If anyone has any ideas or words of advice I sure would appreciate it. this is the first dog in the among many that i have ever had do this. my thinking is if she can survive he night without any problems, then why can't she last a few hours during the day..

thanks
surf

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:17 am

Not sure but could be a bit of separation anxiety..........? There are plenty of people here that have wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more experience than me, but that's what comes to mind. I've left a recently worn sweatshirt with pups before when they've exhibited separation anxiety behaviors. Worked a good amount of the time.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:48 am

I don't have an answer but, I've experienced the same with my two girls. My 7mo occasionally has accidents during the day and, given that her mom was worse at that age, I think it's something they just outgrow.

She may be sleeping during the entire night and awake in her crate during the day so... pee happens??? What frustrates me more is we let the young one out for sometime and she's so "busy" she won't pee until she's back in the house. :( A real pain but, I know she'll outgrow it.

surf n' turf

smarts

Post by surf n' turf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:30 am

this pup is very keyed to her enviroment and in the two weeks i have had her she is already coming and sitting on command. she still decides to go in the house even though she knows that outside is where its done. It has been a long time since i have owned a setter and the shorthairs I own have always been house trained by atleast 3-4 months old.

GWP MAN

Post by GWP MAN » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:32 am

Try giving her a half of a pigs ear in a kong ball. She will have to work to get it out and forget that you are gone.. Sounds like separation anxiety to me. Since she is 6 months old you don't know what happened to her before do you?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:49 pm

Happenes with Bailey too. With her it was a seperation anxiety. She would go in the crate but If i wore a Shirt or swearter or somthing for an hour then threw it in there when I left she wouldnt pee in the crate.

Also if I left her in my room she seemed to do better.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:42 am

Hehe I thought this was normal with GSP's :oops:

In all seriousness I have a GSP now that is simular, and I have had 2 others that were the same way. I had one that took almost 3 years to break of this habit. I call it a habit because I think it is either related to seperation anxity or to a habit from when the dog realizes that it gets to go outside if it piddles.

As far as advise, I can only comment to work through it. What helped me was indoor/outdoor kennel setup that I put them in during the day. I believe this broke the habit.

Good Luck,

Rob :wink:

jjackman

Post by jjackman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:19 pm

At 6 months old, your dog is doing well to hold it all night long. Maybe I just sleep longer than most, but I always had to let my dog out at least once in the night.

I've always found pets will have to go more often during the day. Activity, exercise, eating, drinking will all stimulate the digestive system to work, and movement puts pressure on the bladder making it harder to hold it in. At this age, be sure to give them some time to do their "business".

Or it could be something simple like...

Oh boy, your home...I'm so excited I accidently wet my crate and you thought I did it earlier....

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 pm

jjackman wrote:At 6 months old, your dog is doing well to hold it all night long. Maybe I just sleep longer than most, but I always had to let my dog out at least once in the night.

I've always found pets will have to go more often during the day. Activity, exercise, eating, drinking will all stimulate the digestive system to work, and movement puts pressure on the bladder making it harder to hold it in. At this age, be sure to give them some time to do their "business".

Or it could be something simple like...

Oh boy, your home...I'm so excited I accidently wet my crate and you thought I did it earlier....
Jassen is on to somthing here. Your dog just may be excited to see ya.