e collar recommendations

1953NAA

e collar recommendations

Post by 1953NAA » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Hello - I just found out my 12 year old DT collar finally gave up it's ghost and I find myself on the market looking for another e collar. My brit pup will be 11 mnonths old when grouse season starts so I'd like to start getting her familiar with the collar prior to taking her in the field. I've been working with her without the collar so far but need to familiarize her with one at some point. Since I imagine technology changed quite a bit in 12 years, I'm interested in hearing from the forum which manufacturers and models are currently the most durable and best value. What features are important to have? Range?

I appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks,
RonW

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: e collar recommendations

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 pm

You can check with collar clinic and have yours serviced or let DT service it.....

Dogtra and TT would be my choices in that order.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:35 am

I'm a TT guy all the way. I use the Pro 100 two dogs.

When I use a collar, I don't want to have to look at a screen to determine intensity. I want to just be able to touch a rheostat and instantly dial the level I want without looking at anything. You can do that with TT.

They're also reliable as heck and were the ones that invented the ecollar game. Great customer service as well.

A couple of years ago I had an old Pro 100 that needed service. They took in in, totally rebuilt and updated it to the current model for about half the price of a new one. THAT is customer service.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 am

I also like the TT stuff. Just stay away from the field 90, I found it to be to hot for the dogs. I switched to the 200 and really like it.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 pm

You can do that with a dogtra too GH, may take slight bit of practice and mine have no screen.

I regularly will have two dogs on the transmitter...so I touch the reostat dial it to zero (never real far from zero anyway),
then dial up to whatever dog you are correcting, my one dog is a 20 or less and the other is nearer 30-35.....pretty simple once you do it half a dozen times. No need to look at the dogtra.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:19 pm

You probably still want to have the collar on the dog whenever you are taking him/her out. You want him/her to get used to the collar and not have a bad association when you do start actually using it. Right now you want to create the association that the collar means getting to run etc.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 am

I have a TriTronics Flyway Special, which is the Pro 200 wityout the tone feature. As Gonhuntin' mentioned, I can operate the unit without taking my eyes off the dog. I have it in a holder that hangs at my side. It is adjusted so that I can reach down and the buttons are right there.

It is all the e-trainer that I have ever needed. Mine is about 15 years old(maybe older). about four or five years ago the battery croaked. I called TT service and they said to send in the entire unit. For the price of a general service they completely rebuilt the unit and upgraded it to an EXP which was(at the time) one level below the G series.

When a company gives their product line and customers that kind of support, they have my business. I recently bought a leftover G2 model for my son.

RayG

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 am

I bought the TT Sport Basic G3 and an extra collar. It works well as a very basic unit but I find that the intensity dial is too slow and difficult to operate when you wou need to increase or decrease juice. I am buying a Pro 100 because I find that I use continuous mode almost exclusively. If you use the momentary mode predominantly, then the Pro 200 would be better suited for you. If you don't know which mode you prefer, and price is no object, then the Pro 500 would be the cat's meow...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Also a TT person here I like the Pro 100
I also have the G3 Sport basic good for closer working dogs and yard training

the Sport JR is only a yard work / small dog House training type collar I wouldn't suggest for the field as it does lack a decent range.

The classic 70 is good for trained dogs the levels are a little higher then I like for Starting training but many a dog has done well on them for many a year
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 pm

I use a DT Systems 2450. Has electric stimulation (many levels), tone & vibration.

I like the vibration feature. I use one "buzz" for "Look at me I have a hand signal for you".

Two buzzes for "Return to me. or come in".

I like being able to run my dogs "silent".

After a couple corrections with electric stimulation, vibration gets all the results I need. Dogs are familiarized (trained) to recognize hand signals correlating to whistles of matching #s of repetitions. . I can also cast them with hand signals once I have their attn..

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:27 pm

i use the sportdog sd-1825 and also started using their sd-1850 beeper/collar......have had great success with them both.