Chicken question

SuperCracker

Chicken question

Post by SuperCracker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:39 am

Hi all. About to pick up my new GSP pup.

I was planning on bring him to the office with me everyday and working with him here. It is on 157 acres, about 50 of which is good habitat and has birds in it. I figured I would be able to take him out and work with him and let him find birds 2 or 3 times a day every day. However, at the barn, I also have a good number of chickens running around. Probably around 40.

How can I train him to not chase the chickens without interfering with his desire to find birds?

Can I?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Chicken question

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 am

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 am

Since i posted in the other thread , I'll post here too.

It would be good, as someone stated in the other thread , for the dog to get some experience and time on birds before he is told to leave Chickens alone.....but its not that difficult , once the dog knows what he's after, to be taught to ignore penned birds or free range chickens. That said for the young pup with little experience and good prey drive it will be nearly impossible to keep him off free ranging chickens, especially if the dog is left alone with them.

Once the dog learns his birds are in the bush, its not been difficult, for me anyway, to break a dog from having interest in yardbirds. I certainly wouldn't get mad at a pup if his first bird contacts are chickens and he killed one or more....I would consider that my fault.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 am

Not saying it can't be done but I have seen dogs blink ALL birds after being "broke" off of chickens.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 am

ACooper wrote:Not saying it can't be done but I have seen dogs blink ALL birds after being "broke" off of chickens.
Sounds like it was approached wrong or someone was very harsh....Ive had half a dozen that showed no Ill effects.....They weren't really "Broke" as much as taught. And I admit it was after they had been introduced to birds and hunting .....

Leash , no bird, leave it , for awhile and that was that. My youngest now, will sometimes point the pen on her way back in from a run, I walk by and ignore and call "here" as I go by....she just stands em , not really pointing em with any intensity. My oldest two know exactly where those eggs come from they get on sundays and will guard the chickens like they are family....the chickens are part of the family not the odd birds to chase.

I go over a friends who has a dozen free range chickens, 3 of his dogs and 3 of mine don't pay them any mind.

To clarify- I would not try and start with teach a pup to leave them alone...he's gotta know what hunting and upland birds are to begin with. If I have free ranging chickens and a young pup , then the chickens wouldn't be free ranging for awhile....I also wouldn't allow the chicken to walk around a kennel and drive a pup bonkers.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno