e-Collar Question

e-Collar Question

Post by 1114 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 am

Hey All -

Quick e-collar question - I've never trained a dog using an e-collar (this is my first GSP, had a Lab in the past that didn't require it) but it looks like a necessary tool in the Perfection Kennels training program. I was given a used Dogtra 2000 (not the T&B), will that suffice? Do any of you find a beeper to be an absolute necessity? That seems to be the only thing its missing. Anyone else use this collar?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: e-Collar Question

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am

Dogtra amkes a good collar. I do not like the way the intensity knob spins around and prefer the finite clicks of a TriTronics, but if you use a bit of caution and make a habit of checking what the intensity level is before you hit the button, you should be fine. Besides, the price is right!

I actually use Lovett's beepers when I need a beeper. In typical conditions(mopderate cover, light wind) I can hear it out to 400 yards. That is plenty.

Most often I just use an e-collar and for training, I would actually rather have a straight e-collar...it is simpler to operate that a multifunctional unit. Less options means, for me, less I can screw up and the more I can concentrate on the dog.

I think you will be fine if you take the time to get thoroughly familiar with the feel of your unit.

RayG

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 am

+1 Ray

I would also add this:
Before you start using the collar do your research in proper introduction and application. More dogs get screwed up with mis used collars than probably anything else.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:48 am

Don't worry about the beeper; they're a thing of the past with the new Astro.

I don't like Dogtra's rheostat, but it'll work. I prefer TT so I don't have to look at the transmitter to know what intensity I'm on.

Do yourself a favor and for collar breaking, buy a retriever trainers dvd on collar conditioning and force breaking. It's quite a bit different from what the pointing dog trainers do and more advanced. Just don't start with the SIT command, replace that with WHOA.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Post by 1114 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like the Dogtra will fit the bill...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 am

I saw on your other thread your pup was 14 wks old...Hopefully you are going to wait a Long time before using the ecollar??????
brenda

Post by 1114 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 am

snips wrote:I saw on your other thread your pup was 14 wks old...Hopefully you are going to wait a Long time before using the ecollar??????
Haha, of course. She's a whopping 18lbs at the moment. I'm just the type of person that likes to have a plan in place, we've got SEVERAL months before It'll come into play. I did try it out on myself and that thing packs a punch...

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I know TT is suppose to be the best, but does DT make a good collar? it's tuff to find any reviews of the products you can trust... The price difference is astounding and right now, cost matters... just lookin fer a good collar at a reasonable price. From everything I've read about my new English Pointer I'm gonna need a mile range at least, but I sure would hate to sell my mother in law to buy a TT... :wink: any ideas?
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:45 am

i'm sorry... was that a stupid question or should i start a new thread to address it?.. and at what age should you start using the collar, or does it depend more on the dog's development at the time?.. :?:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

That wasn't a stupid question and welcome to the forum.

Yes it depends on the dog's maturity. There's lots of work to be done with a check cord before needing to worry about an e-collar. It's been my experience that the biggest mistake new trainers make is pushing pup too hard and too fast. Lord willing , you will have 15 years with that dogs. Don't hurry. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks Sharon... I guess my next task will be learning everything I can about training with a check cord... this dog is going to be a real challenge and I think I may be in over my head. My last dog was a lab that had a desire to please and training was almost too easy... our pup was left in the kennel too long a(8-9 months),and while she likes attention, she ignores any direction. We still had our lab for two weeks when we got her and I thought it was going to be easy again... She was doing well... Ruff had to be put down and the pointer is back to square one. She refuses to come down our hallway to our back door, and we cannot get her house broken... we are being patient, but carrying or dragging her to the door just can't last long and it's not an option... I know you can't be harsh, especially with a timid dog, but she is just not catching on... she acts very birdy in the yard and is constantly snooping and pointing, so i have hope but... sorry... don't wanna hijack the thread... but this dog has promise and we're getting discouraged... will a collar help? i think if we can just get HER to figgure out what we want...
- Mark Twain.
-Abraham Lincoln

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Remember a collar will never help a dog figure out what you want. You have to establish complete understanding of behaviors before you make ANY corrections with the collar.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 am

I have a different view of the beeper than some do, the Dogtra T&B is still the best reliable long lasting collar ever developed. Depending on how you train the beeper is a reqiured function of your collar. The way we train the beeper ends up being your command giver, different number beeps mean different commands to our bird dog, think of it like this, the beeper is a long long lead that the dog can not out run, and with the beeper just behind the dogs ears, wind and other noises are no excuse for bad manners. We eliminated the need for the whistle long ago, no yelling required either, no needless hacking. Once you understand the proper techniques used with a collar, it becomes a very serious training tool, with proper trianing seldom is the shock portion of your T&B used. A good companion dog works for you not himself, both genetics and training makes this happen.
I suggest you have someone teach you the proper methods for using the collars, then decide what kind of training you want to accomplish, do this prior to using the collar at all. Depending on what kind of hunting/training you do and in what locations, you will find that the GPS type collars do not work in the big forest, they are good on the open fields and rolling hills, in the big forest they are pretty much usless. The Dogtra T&B works well no matter where you hunt or train, we use them every day here at Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers, in the big Potter/Tioga County, Pa woods.
RGD/Dave