Design your new gear

Scott Linden

Design your new gear

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi everyone. I've just signed a contract to design bird-dog stuff for a company that makes collars, leashes, etc. for the general dog market. I've got a list of projects based on my pet peeves, but am always looking for your suggestions. What is on your wish list?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Design your new gear

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:33 am

I don't think you're going to improve a bit on collars, leashes, whistles, etc.

Seems like the one that everyone is stumped by is the hunting coat and vest. They are not made for the electronic age. I think wingworks has the best vest on the market (haven't tried a Quilomene though) but even that, or those, vests aren't perfect.

Starting with the coat, there should be one made with POCKETS sized to fit ecollar transmitters, both round and rectangular and gps units like the Astro. There should also be an independent gps pocket. The coat should be wind and water proof and light weight. It should be made with a zip out liner and zip off sleeves so it could be warn as a vest or coat in any weather condition and temperature.

It should also have two dedicated water bottle pockets and an easily accessable and loadable game bag.

A button or catch on the shoulder so the sling of a shotgun won't slip off on long walks.

It should have a ton of non fading orange on it for safety.

Same ideas for the vest but no sleeves. As I say, the Wingworks comes very close to this, but they miss by a hair.

There. Design something like that and the world will beat a path to your door.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 am

On the list!

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 am

I have hunting dogs but live in the city which requires they have their Rabies tags, etc attached to their collar. Problem is the tags rip off when the dogs go hunting.
I would like a collar with a built in pocket that the tags can be inserted into and the pocket sealed with velcro or ???? The collar needs to be tough to hold up in hunting conditions.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Great idea! My cobbled-together versions of that never seem to work right. Thanks.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:28 pm

How much Royalties will you be paying GH and tnbndr?
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:How much Royalties will you be paying GH and tnbndr?
Rick
Hah hah! The idea is easy, the execution is not.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm

I would like to find a good, hi-viz collar with good brass buckle, the biggest brass d-ring to be found, and double riveted everywhere. I don't want the center ring. I don't want the extended d-ring. Just the plain old style of collar (similar to the Huntsmith leather collar).

I like the leather feel type material better than the coated nylon too.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 am

Kmack wrote:I would like to find a good, hi-viz collar with good brass buckle, the biggest brass d-ring to be found, and double riveted everywhere. I don't want the center ring. I don't want the extended d-ring. Just the plain old style of collar (similar to the Huntsmith leather collar).

I like the leather feel type material better than the coated nylon too.
Myself I'd keep the center "D", but here's my desire. I think that the area in which the collar riveted, both sides of the "D" and one end on the buckle should be reversed. Rather than having the tag end towards the skin/coat, the tag end should be facing out. that leaves the smoother finish laying against the dog. Not quite as pretty....but better on the dog......more so that are on a chain gang and have the collar working on the neck.
Dan

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 am

Myself I'd keep the center "D", but here's my desire. I think that the area in which the collar riveted, both sides of the "D" and one end on the buckle should be reversed. Rather than having the tag end towards the skin/coat, the tag end should be facing out. that leaves the smoother finish laying against the dog. Not quite as pretty....but better on the dog......more so that are on a chain gang and have the collar working on the neck.[/quote]

THAT's what I'm talkin' about. I think a dog's comfort (and appearance - coat for example) have long been neglected in collar design. Stay tuned.

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm

tnbndr wrote:I have hunting dogs but live in the city which requires they have their Rabies tags, etc attached to their collar. Problem is the tags rip off when the dogs go hunting.
I would like a collar with a built in pocket that the tags can be inserted into and the pocket sealed with velcro or ???? The collar needs to be tough to hold up in hunting conditions.
Why don't you just punch a hole in the collar next to the name plate and rivet the rabies tag there after removing the S hook.

CHODAN

Post by CHODAN » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I would like to see a waterfowl vest for dogs that actually fit deep chested versatile breeds. The vests I have seen seem to be geared toward retrievers which make you go to a larger size to accommodate the chest, but leave a huge wide open neck and belly.
I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. - Ted Nugent

Follow my nose....it always knows - Toucan Sam

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to build a reversible, buckle-type flash collar. I much prefer a real flash collar as opposed to the plastic, elastic collars that slip over the dog's head. The only downside to them is you need a separate one for each color, and if you grab the wrong color, you can't just flip it over at the breakaway.

That's all I could think of. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I don't think you're going to improve a bit on collars, leashes, whistles, etc.

Seems like the one that everyone is stumped by is the hunting coat and vest. They are not made for the electronic age. I think wingworks has the best vest on the market (haven't tried a Quilomene though) but even that, or those, vests aren't perfect.

Starting with the coat, there should be one made with POCKETS sized to fit ecollar transmitters, both round and rectangular and gps units like the Astro. There should also be an independent gps pocket. The coat should be wind and water proof and light weight. It should be made with a zip out liner and zip off sleeves so it could be warn as a vest or coat in any weather condition and temperature.

It should also have two dedicated water bottle pockets and an easily accessable and loadable game bag.

A button or catch on the shoulder so the sling of a shotgun won't slip off on long walks.

It should have a ton of non fading orange on it for safety.

Same ideas for the vest but no sleeves. As I say, the Wingworks comes very close to this, but they miss by a hair.

There. Design something like that and the world will beat a path to your door.

And all for less that $20! :)

Nitrex

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Dear NiTrex ... I will have Santa Claus deliver it. After the tooth fairy designs it. And magical elves manufacture it. Field testing by leprechauns.

That's how we'd keep the price to $20.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Scott Linden wrote:Dear NiTrex ... I will have Santa Claus deliver it. After the tooth fairy designs it. And magical elves manufacture it. Field testing by leprechauns.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Scott Linden wrote:Dear NiTrex ... I will have Santa Claus deliver it. After the tooth fairy designs it. And magical elves manufacture it. Field testing by leprechauns.

Great! I'll be looking forward to it! :D :D :D

Nitrex