How much prey drive should you see how soon??

SuperCracker

How much prey drive should you see how soon??

Post by SuperCracker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Ok, knucklehead (Jeager) is 9 1/2 weeks now and I'm starting to have some concerns.

I know he's a baby, but how much hunting instinct/prey drive should I be seeing at this age? Before I got him I had been worried about keeping him from chasing my chickens, now he's showing only marginal or fleeting interest at best. He might chase one for a minute when i feed and will try to sit and wait for one to come close, but get's over it quick. Then today a cricket got in the office. He saw it, sniffed it for a few seconds and went back and laid down!!!

What puppy in their right mind won't chase and kill a cricket?

Should I be concerned or am I being a nut job? :huh

SuperCracker

Re: How much prey drive should you see how soon??

Post by SuperCracker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:36 pm

I also caught a young hen and held her for him to sniff and mess with. When I put her down she stayed still and he was kind of curious. When she got up and ran off he just watched then went back to sniffing around.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Sounds like much ado about nothing to me.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:49 pm

OK, I went and read some of your previous posts. It seems you have free-range chickens that you want the dog to ignore - why on earth you would let him "sniff and mess with" a hen is beyond me.

SuperCracker

Post by SuperCracker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I had expected to have to worry about him chasing the chickens. But rather than be after them, he's shown at best passing interest.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I am sure your day will come, but trying to incite the dog to chase them? Foolish.

SuperCracker

Post by SuperCracker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 pm

slistoe wrote:OK, I went and read some of your previous posts. It seems you have free-range chickens that you want the dog to ignore - why on earth you would let him "sniff and mess with" a hen is beyond me.

I was just trying to spark some interest in birds and maybe give him a reason to want to find them.

Naturally, I posted this then took him out for a minute and he immediately homed in on a grasshopper, caught it......lost it in the grass....used his nose to find it....then caught it again.

I suppose it's just me.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:24 pm

The pup will be fine .Those chickens look huge to a pup :wink: get some quail later on .

brentonlwin

Post by brentonlwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm by far no expert. I'm training my second GSP pup now and kind of had the some wories for a while but they are gone now. The first pup I trained (if you could say trained, she was a natural) was so full of drive she was about to explode from day one. The first time she saw live birds when I brought home some quail that were in a cage she locked up tight on point and trembled with intensity. Her retrieve was 100% natural all the way back to my hand everytime as well. I took her for granted, I thought all bird dogs worked like that...boy was I wrong.

On pup number two I kind of expected the same thing but didn't get it. She was of little interest to the birds at first. She was even a bit scared of them when they fluttered there wings. I thought she would never turn out to be a good dog but after a week or so of putting birds out for her to find she started to come around and is hunting good and pointing well. Now she acts like a different dog. I was all worked up for nothing. Now, she may never be as intense as my first pup and I know her retreive won't be as strong but she is looking like she will still make a very good dog.

It just goes to show you that every dog is different. A lesson that I'm sure many experienced people on this board learned a long time ago.

Brent

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:55 pm

slistoe wrote:OK, I went and read some of your previous posts. It seems you have free-range chickens that you want the dog to ignore - why on earth you would let him "sniff and mess with" a hen is beyond me.
My thoughts exactly. :?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way