What's your training schedule?

RoosterBuster

What's your training schedule?

Post by RoosterBuster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:22 pm

How many days a week, time per day? Do you go back to the basics often? I am working with my first dog, Obedience is the main focus for me right now, been fetching with him, and still have a few months before pheasant opener. I go to obedience class, and have a DVD that I will be using for the hunting aspect of the training.

Thanks for any input on a "guide line" for training. I know dogs mature faster than other dogs, and there will be hiccups along the way. I just want to make sure that I am working enough, and not too much that I am going to burn out my dog. He is a CBR/LAB cross that we rescued.

Edit - He is about a week shy of 10 mos. old. Getting a solid recall has been my main problem so far. But he is coming along.

SHORTFAT

Re: What's your training schedule?

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Keep your sessions short and always end on a good note... if you end your session and feel like you could have pushed it a little farther... you ended on time. Don't over do it. If the dog is learrning quickly, you may be able to do a session in the morning and one in the evening, but just let the puppy set the pace. The time will fly by and you will be amazed at the progress! Patience is key!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

RoosterBuster

Post by RoosterBuster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:38 pm

I wish I could do a Morning and Night session. My working day starts pretty early, but I could try to get up a couple days...heck, I never have a problem draggin' myself out of bed at 4am to go hunting, why should training be any different ;) Would be a good way to get him a little more tired out before we have to kennel him while we are @ work too.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 pm

very true!.. it's tuff to do, but well worth it by the time the dog is two years old... plus when you start putting him on birds, the morning seems to be better IMHO because the scent holds better... the dogs seem to catch on or figgure it out just a little quicker... at least that seems to be the case with my EP. :wink: good luck, and don't worry! that dog will figgure it out with just a little help and encouragement!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:55 pm

I work on obedience constantly cause my pup spends alot of time in the house. I try to get him in the field, 3-5 days a week to run when its not 85 for a low and I do bird work with launchers 2 days a week when i have pigeons. my bird work usually lasts about a total of 20 mins by the time I do what I need to, when I run him If its not hot I try to keep him on the ground for 30-45mins, mostly to keep him in shape
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RoosterBuster

Post by RoosterBuster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:33 pm

We have a cool spell here finally, last couple of weeks have been hot and humid, and he does not handle that weather well @ all. So I am planning on going out and working on some obedience and retrieving here in about an hour or so. Only live birds I have gotten him on so far were pigeons. He had a hard time pinning them down as far as finding them, but went nuts over retrieving them. He didn't want to quit. I have a buddy thats a member in the NAVHDA and knows where to get birds, but at 5 bux a pop for a farm pigeon, it seems more worth it to build a trap of my own.

As far as a "cardio" session in the morning for him, would an every other day deal be better than every day? Now seems like a good time to get him in shape for the hunting season.

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:01 pm

I usually set obedience classes every Monday. That's the time where the kids are at school. My German Shepherd dog, Alex, could not concentrate when there are kids watching him. He's shy when there are other people. And with that, I'm afraid Alex could not join competitions.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 am

I do something every day--and at various times- Example- to day i have to go out and check our fences on hill top as we had a big wind --so i take dogs( BLM 10 and YLM 2) with me and do some walking blinds along the walk- also do OB at any time of day- and yeasterday went shopping in town so took young boy and walked parking lot so he would get use dto folks- --fished 5 days last week( Miss R.) -boys went with me and i work them from boat and or shore when bite is slow. When not fishing-I take them to pond at 6am for formal work out- marks- blinds etc- then durin gday when in my shop we do place reienforcement ot like yesterday, work with both dogs on steadiness in field blind- throw dummy shoot blanks and send dog out of blind whilst other must stay in his blind till i release him- those kind of drills are short and occur when ever i am working around shop- same for OB which we work on every time we go out for walk etc. These boys are pretty well set for fall but I like to reinforce old stuff quite often and being retired i have the time and place.

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

SeniorCoot wrote:I do something every day--and at various times- Example- to day i have to go out and check our fences on hill top as we had a big wind --so i take dogs( BLM 10 and YLM 2) with me and do some walking blinds along the walk- also do OB at any time of day- and yeasterday went shopping in town so took young boy and walked parking lot so he would get use dto folks- --fished 5 days last week( Miss R.) -boys went with me and i work them from boat and or shore when bite is slow. When not fishing-I take them to pond at 6am for formal work out- marks- blinds etc- then durin gday when in my shop we do place reienforcement ot like yesterday, work with both dogs on steadiness in field blind- throw dummy shoot blanks and send dog out of blind whilst other must stay in his blind till i release him- those kind of drills are short and occur when ever i am working around shop- same for OB which we work on every time we go out for walk etc. These boys are pretty well set for fall but I like to reinforce old stuff quite often and being retired i have the time and place.

SeniorCoot, you have a nice schedule. I might adopt some of them in the future. I love the shopping and fishing activities you have set. My GSD would surely love them. Thanks! :)

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks but things do not always go according to plan-IE today took two dogs and cat to Vet for annual and shots- Old boy fine ditto cat But my hope for future decided today was not his day to obey-- really wanted to pee on all shrubs at vets and didn't want to heel etc- in retrospect there had to be a sensory overlaod for him with all the beasts that go there. later we went to pond and he was v good. Who know s what manana will bring??

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 am

Same here SeniorCoot. My training schedules every Mondays are not always followed because of my GSD's mood swings. Sometimes he's active, sometimes, he's shy, sometimes he's lazy. I guess I need a new obedience trainer. Watchathink?

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:43 am

What are you training him for?