Small Victories

BillGraves

Small Victories

Post by BillGraves » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Just wanted to share some small victories I've had with my boy the last few weeks because I'm just so excited about it. I got him in Nov as a 5 yr. old that was returned to the breeder. Got him for nothing so I figured, "What the heck, good breeder, good dog, go for it." Anyway, up until this summer I was working on mainly obedience stuff as if he were a new pup. He didn't know me, I didn't know him, we were just getting acquainted. This summer, because I'm a teacher, I have had plenty of time to train in the yard, take him to the field and continue the getting to know you period. He now is fairly solid on whoa; I can whoa him and walk/jog/run away from him and toss a bumper or ball and he stays put. The only problem is for him to stand still while I walk behind him and go out of his vision (any thoughts?) I have also been working on conditioning him to the gum with a .22 blank 50-75 yds. away while he is eating and all he does is look up like, "Hey, what was that." Tonight, I had him out at a farm swimming and doing some quartering work and fired the blank as he was ~30 yds. away and then again as he was ~5 yds away and no negative reaction. Next onto popper loads in the 12g. from distance. I am so excited for the upcoming PA grouse season and will be getting my boy on birds hopefully next weekend. Just thought I'd share. Thanks.

Bill

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Small Victories

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 am

HEy Bill:
Sounds like things are going real well. Nice to hear.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 am

The only problem is for him to stand still while I walk behind him and go out of his vision (any thoughts?)
I have to do this kind of exercise for obedience- sit and down stays (3 and 5 mins) while I am out of sight. This is how we train...First, make sure the dog has a solid stay while you are in sight. By solid I mean, through all sorts of distractions, etc. Then, slowly add in you going out of sight. Don't go behind him at first, leave in front of him. And most importantly--make sure you have someone there to correct him if he breaks his stay. Start slowly, leave for 15 seconds, build up time and then change the direction you leave him. Don't change more then one thing at a time and always make sure the command can be reinforced if broken.

This method has worked very well for us. Good luck. Jen

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 am

Bill -

"Small victories" are what training is all about. string enough of them together and brother...you got dawg!

Keep working at it. You both will be the better for it.

Have fun this season.

RayG

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:05 pm

BillGraves wrote:Just wanted to share some small victories I've had with my boy the last few weeks because I'm just so excited about it. I got him in Nov as a 5 yr. old that was returned to the breeder. Got him for nothing so I figured, "What the heck, good breeder, good dog, go for it." Anyway, up until this summer I was working on mainly obedience stuff as if he were a new pup. He didn't know me, I didn't know him, we were just getting acquainted. This summer, because I'm a teacher, I have had plenty of time to train in the yard, take him to the field and continue the getting to know you period. He now is fairly solid on whoa; I can whoa him and walk/jog/run away from him and toss a bumper or ball and he stays put. The only problem is for him to stand still while I walk behind him and go out of his vision (any thoughts?) I have also been working on conditioning him to the gum with a .22 blank 50-75 yds. away while he is eating and all he does is look up like, "Hey, what was that." Tonight, I had him out at a farm swimming and doing some quartering work and fired the blank as he was ~30 yds. away and then again as he was ~5 yds away and no negative reaction. Next onto popper loads in the 12g. from distance. I am so excited for the upcoming PA grouse season and will be getting my boy on birds hopefully next weekend. Just thought I'd share. Thanks.

Bill

It's nice to hear this story, Bill. It makes me more inspired to train my dog who is afraid of distractions. He needs more solid concentration when in training. I'll share mine as well when Alex is ready to conquer the world! :D
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:09 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:
The only problem is for him to stand still while I walk behind him and go out of his vision (any thoughts?)
I have to do this kind of exercise for obedience- sit and down stays (3 and 5 mins) while I am out of sight. This is how we train...First, make sure the dog has a solid stay while you are in sight. By solid I mean, through all sorts of distractions, etc. Then, slowly add in you going out of sight. Don't go behind him at first, leave in front of him. And most importantly--make sure you have someone there to correct him if he breaks his stay. Start slowly, leave for 15 seconds, build up time and then change the direction you leave him. Don't change more then one thing at a time and always make sure the command can be reinforced if broken.

This method has worked very well for us. Good luck. Jen

Very well said jlp! This is what I need to make my dog concentrate on our classes. My main problem is him having all sorts of distractions. One solution that I did was train him every Mondays. Because that's the time when everyone in our house leaves for school or work.

Good thing is that he's not shy with me. Whenever we're together and no distractions at all, everything works well.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)