e collar

redman25

e collar

Post by redman25 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 am

Looking to purchase an e-collar for my first training foray. I would rather not break the bank, but I would like it to work properly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BillGraves

Re: e collar

Post by BillGraves » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Most folks here would say a Tri-Tronics. I have a sportdog ecollar with a beeper and it has worked wonderfully for me and is not as expensive as the TT.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 am

redman,
For over all dependability I always recommend the Dogtra T&B Collars, they are not cheap but usually you can pick up a reconditioned collar thu the Collar Clinic.
They recharge are completley water proof, function in many different ways and are easy to use, to me the Dogtra T&B is the only collar to own, we use them here training Grouse dogs all the time. The initial money expendature more than equals the quality.
RGD/Dave

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:redman,
For over all dependability I always recommend the Dogtra T&B Collars, they are not cheap but usually you can pick up a reconditioned collar thu the Collar Clinic.
They recharge are completley water proof, function in many different ways and are easy to use, to me the Dogtra T&B is the only collar to own, we use them here training Grouse dogs all the time. The initial money expendature more than equals the quality.
RGD/Dave
You're right, they're not cheap, but I like what I see. Tell me this though. How useful are 127 levels of stimulation? It's probably more simple than it sounds, but I was just wondering. Thanks

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Dogtra & Sportdog both make good collars I'm sure. don't knock 'em a bit. But I just went thru your same delema. I have done a ton of looking, asking and checking on all types of collars. In the end I went with the Tritronics Sport Basic G3. Same as you, I didn't want to break the bank. Lion Country Supply has 'em at around $230. 99% of the dog people I know and on this and many other sites like it use TT. They can't all be wrong. The company has the reputation of service... just my 2 cents. Good luck! :D
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Dogtra & Sportdog both make good collars I'm sure. don't knock 'em a bit. But I just went thru your same delema. I have done a ton of looking, asking and checking on all types of collars. In the end I went with the Tritronics Sport Basic G3. Same as you, I didn't want to break the bank. Lion Country Supply has 'em at around $230. 99% of the dog people I know and on this and many other sites like it use TT. They can't all be wrong. The company has the reputation of service... just my 2 cents. Good luck! :D
How has that particular collar been working for you?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Its a smooth climb on a rheostat , My dogtras are labeled to 60 or 100....really what the number is doesnt matter.
Its where it is effective on the dog.

Trick, I think, with the dogtra's is finding out what level works with your dog then practicing turning the dial to that spot on the
rheostat till you can do it well without looking. This should be practiced in your armchair with the collar not involved, just the transmitter, think most will find they can get pretty accurate with it......

I know folks will say the TT's are easier with their rheostat that has clicks but then there is also 3 buttons on top of that to control the levels, either one will take some getting used to and off the dog practice to learn how to operate them without looking at them, keeping your eyes on the dog instead.

Both are pretty tough trouble free collars, its really just what ya get used to first, dogtra smooth stat or TT's clicks and three buttons.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Redman,
As you said the Dogtra is not a cheap item, and the older B&T collars are really the best collars. They have a 2 mile operating distance due to the external antenna, instead of the newer collars imbededed antenna, which limits the newer collars to one mile distance, still very acceptable. I also recommend the stubby antenna which you will need to purchase extra. As I indicted before, you can usually purchase a reconditioned Dogtra T&B (older) collar from Collar Clinic for resaonable money.
The older units have no digital read out to go bad, and the rheostadt is a simple nob with line markings on it, the oldest T&B Collars had the external antenna that was imbeded in the collar in the 2nd Generation of the T&B. I have used them both and they both work very well. The hand held remote control unit is large enough to use quickly in the field, and is completley water proof for winter Grouse hunting. I recommend these particular collars because I use them every day, both to train and hunt, they are the only dual Collar sets I now use. Quality wise the Dogtra T&B collars are the best on the market, I need the collars on the dogs, not repeatedly in the repair shop, which happens with all the other manufacturers products. You will find that the initial cost will be worth the quality, reliability and dependability of the product. The only thing the T&B collar lacks is a hawk scream option, which we have been asking for years. Save your money and purchase the high quality Dogtra collar, you will not be sorry in the long run.
RGD/Dave

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:52 pm

In the end I went with the Tritronics Sport Basic G3
I have this as well- well the combo version. I love it.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks for all the information. Both the Dogtra and TT seem like great choices, and I'll make the choice that seems most logical in the long run. Appreciate it guys.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 pm

The most important thing to me is the number of stimulus levels. Having 18 dogs, and 13 dogs in the string they are all very different, and I have run into problems with there being too much of a difference between say stim-1 and stim-2. Stim-1 will go unnoticed and stim-2 will produce too much of a response. I had a sport dog that had only 8 levels and that sob caused me alot of head aches. My old school tri-tronics has 16 levels and it is what I use.

mmduncan

Post by mmduncan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Check craigslist! I bought a dogtra 1200NCP off a guy for $40. He used it a couple times and said it didnt work on his german shepard lol. Personally I prefer Dogtra products .
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "KODA"
Duncan's Haulin a Limit "LIMIT"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 pm

mmduncan wrote:Check craigslist! I bought a dogtra 1200NCP off a guy for $40. He used it a couple times and said it didnt work on his german shepard lol. Personally I prefer Dogtra products .

Wow, sweet deal ! and too funny :lol:

Find it kinda hard to believe the 1200 wouldn't almost flip a shepard on his back cranked up to max.
My 1200 is pretty hot....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 am

BillGraves wrote:Most folks here would say a Tri-Tronics. I have a sportdog ecollar with a beeper and it has worked wonderfully for me and is not as expensive as the TT.
I stand corrected!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 am

TT Pro 100. If you can't afford a new one, check Collar Clinic for a rebuilt.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.