Flushing Birds Help

high_endurance

Flushing Birds Help

Post by high_endurance » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:16 am

I took my boys out today to work on some flushing and it didn't go so well, so I wanted to see if I did something wrong. What happened was that the pigeons didn't fly like they should. I took the birds, spurn them a few times and then tucked their head under their wing. When the dogs went to flush them, the birds didn't fly off and ended up getting picked up off the ground.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!!

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Flushing Birds Help

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 pm

'
Just my 2 cents. It is a fine line between too dizzy and not dizzy enough. The more you do it, the better feal you will get for it. A full on spinning motion isn't always needed. Also be gentle when tucking the head.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:35 pm

From your post I assume your dogs are flushing dogs. You just put the birds asleep too hard. I would think it would be very hard to use pigeons for flushing dogs in this manner. I have just dizzied a bird and thrown it into high weeds, but don't expect them to stay there too long.

Brittowner

Post by Brittowner » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:55 pm

if they are flushing dogs you could try carding the birds. Tie a looped piece of yarn to the leg above the joint and attach a piece of cardboard about 6inches square. You can throw the birds into light cover and when flushed they will fly off for a short distance and you can gather them up to use agaim.
Lion Country also sells wire cages that work well also. You would only want to use these for pointing dogs.
I have trouble sleeping birds. Takes practice to get it right.