Sitting by Whistle

labman21

Sitting by Whistle

Post by labman21 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 pm

My dog Drake has one issue that really needs to be dealt with. If he could just get this down it would make life so much easier. He is whistle trained to sit and comeback but I have issues getting him to sit at a distance.

He knows the short whistle blast means sit but he seems to think it means sit near me, not where he is presently at. Let's say Drake is 30 yards out and I blast the whistle, he turns and slowly starts retreating and coming back to me until he's about 10 to 15 feet away. What I do is take him back to where I wanted him to sit then force him to follow the command.

1. How should I handle this situation?
2. How do I get him to understand that he needs to be sitting right after the whistle blows?

Thanks if you guys can help, I'd really appreciate it.
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

mmduncan

Re: Sitting by Whistle

Post by mmduncan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Is he collar conditioned? If so you can use continuous until he sits when his but hits the ground turn off the pressure after about a week of that he will comply much faster. You probably should go through all of it again work on Sit whistle on lead then you can work out farther little by little to help give him the confidence out there at big distances. just my .02 good luck
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "KODA"
Duncan's Haulin a Limit "LIMIT"

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Put him on a two way rope or have a helper.

If it's a single rope, run it around a stake or a tree. Put one end on the dog, you hold the free end. Call him to you. Blow the whistle and snub him instantly on the rope. If he doesn't sit, walk up to him, holding him in place with the rope and give him a good crack on the butt with a heeling stick.

Same thing if you have a helper. Take the helpers rope and hook it to the eye of your snap. Hook your snap to the dog. Both of you now have a rope and can control the dog's every move.

I think this problem can be cured in obedience though, obedience and a heeling stick. Walk the dog at heel and blow the whistle. Instantly crack him hard with the heeling stick. When you blow that whistle, the dog should create dust devils sitting. NEVER settle for a slow or half sit. Crack him. I'm betting that once you go through this, it will take care of your issue.

Even it it doesn't, it'll make you feel better! :lol:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

labman21

Post by labman21 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks I'm not sure if I understand the two way rope set up though
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm

He's telling you that he's confused, and unsure of what he's suppose to do. It's dog for "I don't know what I'm suppose to do, so I'll do what you've taught me is okay". Whoaing and sitting have to be taught as a progression. First by your side, then 2' in front, then 5', then 7', then 8', etc... It helps a lot if you sit him and then walk out in front of him so he can see you at a farther distance. So say you want to sit him at 20' and he balks but will sit at 10'. Sit him at 10' then walk away to 20', and let him see you there; now he knows sitting at 20' is okay and it will be less of a shock when you ask him to do it. This is fairly normal, and remember the dog will show the way...all you have to do is listen to what he's saying...and he's saying that you're trying to sit him too far away too fast.

If you go to sit him and he comes at you, intercept him and take him back to where you sat him, then return to where YOU gave the command...let him see you there. You can then call him to you, or go to him to release him.

Good luck
CT

surferdave

Post by surferdave » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 am

I agree, if he's collar conditioned then use the collar. When I was teaching it, I still had a helper with a check cord next to him. I would blow the whistle, have her pull up on his lead while I gave continuous. The moment he put his butt down, stop stim and praise heavily. I then phase out the lead, then phase out the helper, etc.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:28 pm

No, you don't use the e-collar to teach remote sit. Not if you have any intentions of ever having a handling dog that responds to indirect pressure - which is most definitely NOT continuous stimulation. GH has outlined how to go about it with an older dog. With a pup, you could have begun it with a whistle and hands'-on approach (i.e., correcting the pup for not sitting) when the pup was en route to his food bowl. Good opportunity to get in the repetition that a remote sit requires and no pressure to go with it - just a reward (getting to eat) when done correctly.

The snappy sit that GH said leaves skid marks from the dog's butt hitting the ground - why do you think that happens? Because it's trying to beat the stimulation from the collar the instant the sit whistle's blown. And the dog can't beat the stimulation if it's already being applied - continuously. You will get the same sit later on without use of the collar - if your dog's been trained with indirect pressure and your expectations match up with the consistency of your training.

Continuous - all you're doing is giving the dog hotfoot as an excuse for not stopping on a dime. And you'll never get a crisp consistent and determined sit with it, nor get the dog launching out of a sit and driving back when you cast it to a blind retrieve.

MG