Holding the line drill

labman21

Holding the line drill

Post by labman21 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 pm

I recently posted about my dogs holding a straight line on a blind retrieve. On the ducks unlimited website I saw a video about "trailing memories". I saw the trainer take the dog to various locations and drop a bumper. The trainer went back to his original spot, lined up the dog and gave him the back command. I've been doing this with my dogs and they seem to be understanding what is going on. I've picked a tree in my yard and walk the dog to that tree and drop the dummy behind it as the trainer from the video did I returned and sent the dog.

Next, I walked the dog to the tree, dropped the dummy and then put the dog in the garage for a couple minutes. I lined him up and sent him and it went well.

What do you guys think of this approach?
AND
When should I stop showing the dog the position of the bumper entirely? In your minds.

Thanks for the consideration
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Holding the line drill

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 am

That is a drill called "delayed mark" that I used on field trial dogs. It taught them to go on a mark whether they had seen it go down or not.

For blinds, use sight blinds and teach a straight line by using "pictures" or obstacles. If you don't know what a picture blind is, it is a blind that the dog can "see". Over a small pond about 20' across from 100 yards away. Down a channel. Out to sea. Through a patch of cover. You get the idea. The dog looks out and from the picture in his mind, knows where the blind is.

Teach with obstacles. Put a bale of hay in the field. Walk the dog out and OVER it and place the bumper 50 yards distant. Tell the dog to sit. Walk back to line and call the dog to you, MAKING him come over the bale of hay. Now, turn around and send him for the bumper OVER the bale of hay. It is always easier to teach a straight line by calling a dog to you than sending him.

You can do the same thing through cat tails, over ponds, down channels, side hills, etc.

You can make them as long or as short as you like. Always put the bumpers in exactly the same spot. Only on day one will the dog see you place the bumpers, after that they will be cold blinds to him. That's the way blinds are taught. You get straight lines from LONG confidence blinds. You can use live, shackled, clip wings on them to spice it up for the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.