Getting Frustrated Please Help

seuss79

Getting Frustrated Please Help

Post by seuss79 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:08 pm

It's been a while since I've been on "everything has been going great" until recently.

My Brittany "Louie" is a two and a half year old. About a month ago, he has begun marking in the house. Before this he only went in the house 1 time when we first got him as a puppy. I've searched on here about what to do but it seems that this is usually a puppy thing??? He will not do it in front of us but rather after we go to bed or if we go outside and leave him inside for a few minutes. I know the simple answer is to kennel him or leave him outside and not to leave him unattended, but what gives?

He has never done this before and has done it about once a week give or take for the past month. (5 times now) He also has recently begun to get into the garbage and take food off the table.

Is this a stage he is going through? Would neutering him stop this? I don't know how to dicipline an action I can't catch him in. Not to mention he is a very timid dog. Simply raising my voice he tucks his tail and scurries away towards my wife.

I am at wits end. I don't know what to do, I love our dog to death but I can't trust him alone. I am getting to the point I don't want him in my house and I don't think it's right to leave him outside.

Please help!!!

AzDoggin

Re: Getting Frustrated Please Help

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

I'd just back up in his training a bit and treat him more like a pup that you have not yet entrusted with total house freedom. Back to crate training - it'll help with his OB in general, give you more control and give you peace of mind while you can't watch him. He's testing his "pack" status (and winning!) Here's an article - there are lots more on that website.

http://leerburg.com/housebrk.htm

Here's another one:

http://leerburg.com/groundwork.htm

When he's out of the crate - plenty of exercise, so that when he's in, he's not so antsy. Unless you think it's medical (and if you do get him checked out), I wouldn't worry too much about what's causing it. It's simply a set of behaviors that must be corrected. Even at his age, he's still a late adolescent. Tell me you didn't need any corrections at 18! :D

Patience, consistency, time...You'll get-r-dun!

Brittowner

Post by Brittowner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Hate to say it, but it does not sound like a crate training issue to me. Sounds like territorial marking. Tough problem to solve. I had one male that started the habit at about 2.5 yrs. He was really sneaky about it like it sounds yours was. I really don't have any advice for you except try to catch him in the act and come down on him hard. I never did brak mine of it, he contracted a strange immno deficiency and passed. I know your frustration, because I loved that dog but he was really starting to try my patience. Permanently outdoors may be your only solution. I am interested to read some other responses.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 pm

He is becoming a mature dog...could be set off by a female in heat somewhere or the testosterone setting in

Back to the box when he can't be supervised
put a small leash in him and as you walk by corners in the house furniture extra AS SOON as he begins to turn his nose to try and sniff give a sharp correction...be sure you use a good urine enzyme type cleaner also

He has to be reminded it is Not his territory and until you work through it back to the basics
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm

seuss79,
Has anything changed in your home in the last couple of months. Added something new, or different, furniture, people, another animal? Are you neuteralizing the area where he is marking with Natures Miracle or other like product?

In your dogs case I would neuter him now in hopes it could help. He is fully mature and has nothing to loose at this point.

I agree with going back to the crate at least at night and when awake take him out to potty and get him to pee before you leave him inside and see if that helps any. If he is empty maybe he won't mark anything.

Hope this helps.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am

kninebirddog wrote: put a small leash in him and as you walk by corners in the house furniture extra AS SOON as he begins to turn his nose to try and sniff give a sharp correction...be sure you use a good urine enzyme type cleaner also

He has to be reminded it is Not his territory and until you work through it back to the basics
That's it right there. Crate when unsupervised, tether to you when you are around. Yes you can't watch him at all times, but you sure as heck can walk him by the area's he's marked for a "training opportunity."

Good stuff as usual from knbd.