Sudden Aggressive Behavior

High Brass

Sudden Aggressive Behavior

Post by High Brass » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:55 am

Three year old in tact male lab is now occasionally aggressive with children about six years of age. He has never been abused. Part of the family since 6 weeks of age. Recently suffering from seizures and medicated for epilepsy with phenobarbital 60mg twice daily. House dog recently moved to new home with his family. Recently lost his elderly lab
companion from old age.

Thanks Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Sudden Aggressive Behavior

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:15 am

I'd say it's the phenobarb. etc. Supervise carefully around children. This may pass.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am

I would also look to some thyroid issues as that can also lead to aggression and with the right amount of meds can get that back in line

another thing which can make a dog grouchy is arthritis

no matter what I would not allow the kids near the dog with out strict supervision as he is already showing his lack of tolerance for something which he is not viewing as a leader
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:53 pm

I don;t know about the conditions and meds you list....

But one Idea might be to get him alone and give him a good going over, manipulate his joints
and probe his abdomen and back...he may have some pain that he is protecting himself preemptively.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 am

Recently suffering from seizures
Bingo. I know someone dealing with this now with her dog who had to be pulled from search and rescue work and will most likely be put down soon as most likely the seizures are due to a brain tumor. I also have another friend whose GSD started growling at family members out of the blue. He was re-homed with an experienced handler w/o kids. Honestly, if I had young children in the house I would make sure he is never near them. When they are in a seizure, they do not have any control over what they are doing.
Good luck...