keeps a dog from being gun shy

JIMMFBROWN

keeps a dog from being gun shy

Post by JIMMFBROWN » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:42 am

thanks for the info prev posted --any one have some tips to ween my australian sheperd not to be gun shy?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:53 am

By "ween" I assume you mean that your dog is already gun shy and you need it to stop. In that case, seek the help of a professional trainer. If it's still possible to do, this is not something you want to mess up.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

JIMMFBROWN

Post by JIMMFBROWN » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:18 pm

hes not gun shy yet --another menber on this forum told me that the breed of herds can easly be gun shy -- i was just looking to advoid it if all possible

JIMMFBROWN

Post by JIMMFBROWN » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:18 pm

hes not gun shy yet --another menber on this forum told me that the breed of herds can easly be gun shy -- i was just looking to advoid it if all possible

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Use a cap gun or just the primers in a shotgun.

Make sure you dog is some distance away from you and happily having a good time, playing with another dog (that is used to guns)
or chasing a rabbit, you know...the sort of thing that your dog has his attention on in an enjoyable way so he won't be so distracted when you fire the blank.
It will be natural for him to stop and look up and around, you just keep on walking and chatting to your friend and acting casual about it, no big deal.

If he really enjoys retrieving you can incorporate it into the retrieve, the dog will begin to associate the blank with his
retrieves so it all falls together as enjoyment.

If your dog does seem really uncertain about the blank at a distance, then you will have to do some carpentry around home before you reintroduce the blank.