Anyone Own & Hunt Flusher and Pointer ?

outdrs111

Anyone Own & Hunt Flusher and Pointer ?

Post by outdrs111 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here owns both a flushing dog AND a pointing dog?

If so, do you ever hunt them together?

If you do, how in the heck do you??

Thanks for any replies.

Tom

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Anyone Own & Hunt Flusher and Pointer ?

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Yes, I have 5 Boykins and 2 field trial Brits.

I usually hunt the thick stuff where birds are likely to be plentiful with the Boykins and the open less populated places with the big going dogs.

I do hunt them together from time to time, but it works better in theory than practice.

The theory:

Both dogs must be steady to flush, shot, and fall.
The flushers must sit on flush, and the pointing dogs stop to flush.
Both must honor from a distance.
Both must follow voice commands at a distance.
and you have to be in good shape to keep up.

In practice, it is just too much work, particularly if you are trying to handle both yourself. I works a little better, only a little, but still better, if a partner handles one of the dogs.

At my age and physical condition, it is just not worth the effort.

Neil

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:34 am

I hunt my lab with pointers several times a year, and intend to hunt my lab and my GSP together as my pup figures things out. the problem I run into is that my lab wants to hunt at the same range as the pointers if I dont keep her incheck, but that is usually not a huge problem. I like hunting the two types of dogs together cause u can let the pointers run big and really work the thick stuff and the treerows with the flusher, my lab wont honor, but when the pointers go on point i will heel her up and she will walk into the point with me and sit till released.
one huge benefit to hnting the flusher and the pointers together is that I hunt wit some pointers who are not strong retrievers and my lab will tear the country apart to find a down bird esspecially a cripple and we rarely lose a bird. also I have been able to send my lab into honeysuckle patches that i never would have gotten in to, to flush birds that would have otherwise never been flushed. If you decide to do it it will be a work in progress until you and the dogs figure out what is expected from each of you on a hunt but if you can get things going it is a blast.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ArcticRetrievers

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

I have Labs and GWPs

I do hunt with them at the same time by myself, but as the first Poster said it is a LOT of work, sometimes it is easier to just put one away, another problem Friends of mine have run into are these "POINTING LABS" they tend to just Back, even if you want them to flush. IMO don't Fix it if it ain't Broke, but apparently Pointers weren't Good enough Retrievers, Nevermind those Versatile hunting dogs we like to Call HPRs (hunting/pointing/RETRIEVERS) anywhoo enought with my side topic...

Personally My pointers work 100-150 Yards out while My Labradors work much Closer However with that being said, once a Bird is found By a Pointer My Labs Keep with me until we're in Range, I walk in and Flush and shoot...either one or all retrieves.

Now the other way around, since I have Taught my gwps to hunt Far, lets say my Lab Flushed a Bird, as soon as its up all of the pointers (usually one or 2) stop where they are and Mark the bird , I will send my Lab to get the bird, ance thats done It is just a Little "Hup" and were Back to hunting.

My suggestion in Training is teach the Flusher Everything they need to Know (especially steadiness) and Teach the Pointers everything they need to know (again especially steadiness) Then Slowly mix together their hunting styles...

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 pm

i have a client that hunts a GSP and lab and swears by it. the GSP finds the birds and points them and the lab is there to make the retrieves.