Bought the quail, now what?

gripper39

Bought the quail, now what?

Post by gripper39 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a 7month old ES and I am trying to get him ready for the season so I bought some young quail to start off with. Now I have a few questions regarding how to place them. Should I put all of them out or should I put 1 out at a time? How do I put them to sleep? Ive heard of a few ways but Im not sure which way is the best? How do I handle them, they seem very skittish and quick, will they just fly away? And last but not least, my dog showed little interest in the birds. He sniffed the cage a little and when they flushed in the cage he flinched a little. Is this something that will go away with time?

jimbo&rooster

Re: Bought the quail, now what?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:07 am

as far as planting them goes i would start with one at a time, to plant them hold them in your hand with their head exposed and shake ep till their head rolls around a little but, be careful quail are fragile, once you get em dizzied just toss em on the ground and walk away give em a few minutes and bring the dog in preferably cross wind, if its his firs bird exposure he may flush the first few. when I showed my pup a cage full of quail and they started bouncing off the sides it scarred the crap out of him but that went away as soon as he found them in the field.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.