Male or Female Pup?

Nhuskr

Male or Female Pup?

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Everyone! :)

I'm new to the GDF, but have been reading like crazy the last couple of days, and learning a ton.

A little background before I get to my question: Dogs have been in my life ever since I was a baby. I/we've had all types from a toy poodle born 6 days before I was, to golden retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, Australian shepherd x's. Currently my family has 3 dogs: an 8 yo lab mix male (non hunter, rescue dog), a 6 yo French brittany female (dh's bird dog), and a 3 yo beagle male (my dd's; also a non-hunter).

We are ready to add to our pack and are going to go with another Frenchy. My dh trained his brittany and I plan on training this one. It will be the first time for me to train a hunting dog; I've done basic household obedience with the others.

I'm leaning towards a male, since all the male dogs I've ever had seemed to bond better with me than the females. But all the reading I've been doing says that females are easier to train. My question is directed mainly towards Brenda and Sharon, but I welcome all replies. What do you ladies find easier to train/bond with, a male or a female? I realize that each dog is an individual and you just never know until you get the dog, just appreciate thoughts.

Cheryl

ArcticRetrievers

Re: Male or Female Pup?

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:31 pm

I know that I am not either of the people you mentioned, but I will put in my 2 cents.

IMO Male dogs are harder working , more solid gun dogs when they are finished, they are Faster, and they Listen Better. They have learned to deal with their Handicap (testosterone) That being Said I prefer Females, they are IMO more competitive, and have boundless energy, they are easier to train , but you do need to keep up their training, and be especially diligent through their seasons, otherwise they learn what they can get away with, they test you a bit more.

As for Bonding with you, all of my dogs My Females and my males are Bonded to me. My males are so in more of a "follow you to the end of the earth" way, my Females in a "fiercly protective will fight a dragon for you" way.

In the end it is just pesonal preference.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 pm

I think it's a ketchup v. mustard argument.

Positives and negatives for both - essentially cancel each other out. As you say, it's the dog, not the gender, in the end.

(I'm waiting on a female Frenchie myself this spring - all other beasts in the house are male - but on the other hand if there aren't enough females, I'd happily take another male.)

Good luck!!

Lastly, great callname. GBR!! :D

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 pm

I have had many dogs and really see no difference in the sexes. There is more variation in individuals of the same sex, than there is between sexes.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm

ArcticRetrievers wrote:I know that I am not either of the people you mentioned, but I will put in my 2 cents.

IMO Male dogs are harder working , more solid gun dogs when they are finished, they are Faster, and they Listen Better. They have learned to deal with their Handicap (testosterone) That being Said I prefer Females, they are IMO more competitive, and have boundless energy, they are easier to train , but you do need to keep up their training, and be especially diligent through their seasons, otherwise they learn what they can get away with, they test you a bit more.

As for Bonding with you, all of my dogs My Females and my males are Bonded to me. My males are so in more of a "follow you to the end of the earth" way, my Females in a "fiercly protective will fight a dragon for you" way.

In the end it is just pesonal preference.
Thanks Arctic! I mentioned Brenda and Sharon only because I knew they were ladies. :D Any other ladies are welcome to reply (the men for that matter.)

Cheryl

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 pm

AzHusker wrote:I think it's a ketchup v. mustard argument.

Positives and negatives for both - essentially cancel each other out. As you say, it's the dog, not the gender, in the end.

(I'm waiting on a female Frenchie myself this spring - all other beasts in the house are male - but on the other hand if there aren't enough females, I'd happily take another male.)

Good luck!!

Lastly, great callname. GBR!! :D
Thanks for the reply AzHuskr. I placed my deposit on a Frenchy this weekend! I'm so excited. It'll be ready to pick up right after our season ends here in MO, so I'll get in our hunting then get to concentrate on the pup.

I like your call name too! Did you grow up in NE? Go BIG RED! Beat Texas!!

Cheryl

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Brittguy wrote:I have had many dogs and really see no difference in the sexes. There is more variation in individuals of the same sex, than there is between sexes.
Thanks for the reply, I put a deposit down with the request for a male, but temperament being the number one priority. I love my DH's female, but when she knows we are going hunting, she shakes for the entire drive time (sometimes over an hour), I'm amazed she has any energy left to hunt. She is an awesome hunter with a tremendous nose and tons of energy.

That's a beautiful britt you have on your avatar.

Cheryl

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 pm

I know it's common sense but just beware of mixed sexes in the same household. My hunting buddy has a neutered Weim male, a fertile GSP male & a fertile GSP female in the household. When that female GSP went into heat the two males that have lived together for about five years started a fight to the death. Although the dogs were eventually pried apart a trip to the emergency vet was in order.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Never noticed any difference in bonding or training based on sex, generally speaking.

I tend to choose females because they are some smaller and when we all live together inside, smaller is better.

Specifically , I have had a stupid dog in both sexes.

Got one now. We put in a dog door to save heat. The dogs were going in and out comfortably in an hour. She is still sitting at the door waiting for someone to lift the flap. She trips up and down any stairs and bangs her head 3 or 4 times against a closed cage before she figures out the door is down. :) In the field though, she is in her element.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 pm

BigShooter wrote:I know it's common sense but just beware of mixed sexes in the same household. My hunting buddy has a neutered Weim male, a fertile GSP male & a fertile GSP female in the household. When that female GSP went into heat the two males that have lived together for about five years started a fight to the death. Although the dogs were eventually pried apart a trip to the emergency vet was in order.
All of our dogs are spayed/neutered. Would have liked to keep Cadee intact, but she had an umbilical hernia, so decided not to take the chance. Neither of the boys are registered, so no point in using them. They're just sweet old house pets anyway. I'm still debating about this pup (that's not even born). The stud just received a 98.4% conformation points at a trial in September, from a French judge. Honestly, I'll probably spay or neuter anyway; at this point in my life, I've got too much on my plate to get into breeding, as much as I would love to.

Cheryl

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Sharon wrote:Never noticed any difference in bonding or training based on sex, generally speaking.

I tend to choose females because they are some smaller and when we all live together inside, smaller is better.

Specifically , I have had a stupid dog in both sexes.

Got one now. We put in a dog door to save heat. The dogs were going in and out comfortably in an hour. She is still sitting at the door waiting for someone to lift the flap. She trips up and down any stairs and bangs her head 3 or 4 times against a closed cage before she figures out the door is down. :) In the field though, she is in her element.
Thanks for the reply, Sharon. I had a Cocker Spaniel once. She was the dumbest dog I ever had :!: She would eat jalapeno peppers, cherry tomatoes off the vine, peas off the plant. She once ate a plastic bag because there was a sandwich in it; got a hambone stuck around her lower jaw, etc. When you scolded her for breaking stay, or sit, or whatever, she would just look at you with big, brown eyes and waggle her whole body. She was sweet, but definitely had some loose screws.

Cheryl

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:00 pm

True umbilical hernias are uncommon. Unfortunately "delayed closures" are all too often miscategorized as umbilical hernias. Delayed closures are not a contraindication for pregnancy & delivery. A bitch with a delayed closure frequently will deliver pups without any delayed closures.

Although my dogs are bred infrequently I only keep intact canines.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it