when ur dog use his nose? in the air,on the floor,nose range

Elias

when ur dog use his nose? in the air,on the floor,nose range

Post by Elias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:09 am

guys how can u see the range of ur dog's nose, i mean the distance ur dog can pick up a bird scent?!?! and at what age ur dog show the true flairing charactersitics!?
second: why sometimes my dog put his nose in the ground and start snifing and folowing the scent of a bird and sometime he just put his nose up in the air and go straight and poing?!
thanx:)

live4point

Re: when ur dog use his nose? in the air,on the floor,nose range

Post by live4point » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:58 am

A lot can factor in to the range of a dogs nose.For instance if a breeze is blowing over the bird towards the dog,he will smell it farther away than if on a day with no breeze or wind.If the dog is on the wrong side of the wind it may not smell the bird at all.Also after the vegetation dies out with colder fall and winter temps. I believe they smell better.There are some days I have found over the years that a dog just doesn't seem to be able to scent birds at all,think it may have have to do withe the raising and falling of the thermals. There can also be a lot of difference in nose power from one dog to another,they don't all have great noses.The good lord gave them their nose,they either have it or they don't.

Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:17 pm

the quail season right now in our country i swear no dog can smell the darn birds!!! 1 bird out of 20 is pointed! and the experts in this field say that this time of the year the birds cant be smelled.....i didnt believe this but now after reading ur post i think that they and u are right.
for the part of puting the nose on the ground and smelling the scent and puting it in the air and following it....why is this??!
and how can i know if my dog have a good nose or regular nose?!~

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 pm

There are basically two kinds of scent.
There is the air scent, which is basically the scent that the birds put off of their bodies into the surrounding air. It hangs around for a while (minutes to hours depending on conditions) and is what bird dogs should primarily be using. They are following air scent when their heads are up. It does stay around plenty long enough for using to find cripples and such also. This type of scent is mostly affected by the wind, competing scents, temp, humidity, dryness of the soil, etc.
There is also ground scent, which is basically the scent left by the birds on the ground and objects that they touch directly. This type of scent lasts a lot longer (a day or two), and is less affected by wind and other elements, but they do still come into play. When you see a bloodhound, tracking or police dog methodically working out a trail footstep by footstep they are using ground scent.

A good dog may use both, but primarily, you want them following air scent. The reason that ground scent is less useful, and potentially counterproductive, is the time that it hangs around. It is fairly useless to have a dog pointing where the birds were yesterday. Time in the field will allow the dog to figure all of this out on his own, like how to work the wind, but some dogs will always tend to keep their nose on the ground more than others.

As to how good your dog's nose is, I'd sooner tell you how pretty your wife is. :mrgreen:
Like was said, conditions mean a lot, and some days they can smell them a good ways off, and next week they may be 5 ft. away and not know it.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"