Pottering Setter

High Brass

Pottering Setter

Post by High Brass » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Need help. Have a 3yr. old E Setter that gets fascinated with ground scent. Not a big running dog, very biddable but when not fired up reverts to pottering with ground scent. When worked on birds with launchers or other training situations acts like the real deal. As a very young pup went through a lot of shoe leather running her on public land with no wild birds ( you guessed it Illinois ). She got to the point that when put in certain fields were she had gone birdless a few times Showed little interest in the search. I guess they are place oriented after all. When in a training situation with captive birds she acts like a differant dog. Do I have a way to correct the pottering? Or do I hope it just goes away when hunting and there are birds around?

Thanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

Tall Boy

Re: Pottering Setter

Post by Tall Boy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:25 am

Well you can either get her fired up about birds again, or teach her that trailing is not acceptable which is a toughy. Ive seen it done with an EP and beagle mix (cuttest dog ever, beagle body with an EP/beagle head and 12 o'clock pointer tail), that would get to trailing soon as she got outside and would pay zero attention to formal training. Finally got her running with a high head so she could actually hear and come back to reality. She wasn't a bird dog, just a pet that came to us for obedience, the usual working dog with an exorbitant desire to work and an owner not capable of meeting the demands. I'll look back and see how we got it done, I'm drawing a blanck right now.

Is the dog still fired up while trailing, or does she seem melancholy?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Pottering Setter

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 am

This is why I do not like just running my dogs dry...
Your dog by how you post is saying if I know there are birds I am hunting...but new areas or if i do not find a bird right away..BORING..and commences pottering

You might try getting the dog on birds in all new locations even if it means to plant one or two..Get it where EVERY TIME you put your dog down it means BIRDS and stop the free runs...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.