can I do it w/o pidgeons n launchers?

KFhunter

can I do it w/o pidgeons n launchers?

Post by KFhunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 pm

I simply cannot find pidgeons around here, nor do I have launchers. nor am I off on weekends to train at the club.

The dog is getting in too close to the birds, really crowding them before she'll lock up. If the birds will stay put (wild ones don't) then she will go ahead a point but she likes to almost be eyeball to eyeball.
Did some launcher work with a trainer, she didn't try to eat the pidgeon even though it was a clipped bird and she was literally beak to nose, I had her check cord taught and was wispering "whoa", the trainer was saying "good, good" and style stroking her tail.

I know she's smelling it a ways off, you can see her working the scent, but she follows it in and points too late. I know launcher work would be perfect, I don't have them

SO

how to get a quicker point on wild birds? She'll bust em everytime, and not know its not what I want.

heading out in the morning to CC "hunt" some pen raised pheasent at a release site, hopefully they'll hold longer than ruff grouse
wild ruff's are hard to train on!

Ridge-Point

Re: can I do it w/o pidgeons n launchers?

Post by Ridge-Point » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 am

Sounds a little backwards to me. If you want the dog pointing sooner, then you want the bird to get up sooner. Birds that hold longer are just teaching her to crowd.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 am

Ridge-Point wrote:Sounds a little backwards to me. If you want the dog pointing sooner, then you want the bird to get up sooner. Birds that hold longer are just teaching her to crowd.
+1 You can also work on this in the yard with a wing. When she gets close enough, give the wing a little jerk and she should stiffen up.
I would like to know how old she is? If she is still a pup, she'll learn soon enough. If she is an older dog, get her on some wild birds as they won't hold as easily as a tame bird. You dog will learn to be patient in good order and hold her point.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:09 pm

better stay away from released pheasents :o

she catches those

ruffed grouse should work, they pretty jumpy but she's come dangerously close to catching those too

I'd like to work her in a field planted with launchers/pidgeons with my finger on that release button, soon as she smells the bird and heads towards it I launch that sucker in the air