Best Training Video?

PheasantHunter

Best Training Video?

Post by PheasantHunter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Brand new member of the forum, just registered a few minutes ago. I must say, I'm very impressed!

I'm looking to purchase a video on dog training. I have 2 GSPs, 1 Brittany, and 1 English Pointer. All of these dogs have been professionally trained and maintained by a fellow who does an excellent job.

I have a litter on the way from my GSP and I'm going to keep one for myself and would like to train this one myself because I have more free time now and I can make the committment to doing it right.

Now I am looking to purchase a dog training instructional video or video set. I have looked at a few different titles on various websites and a couple of the ones that I am considering are the following:

1. The Delmar Smith Video Set (Volumes I, II, and III)

2. The Perfect Start/Perfect Finish Video Set

These are the ones that I have looked at but am certainly open to all suggestions. Can anyone "point" me in the right direction?

The best way to describe my current level is an experienced handler, very familiar with gun dogs, their commands, etc. but have very little training experience. My dogs all have the opportunity to have a lot of field work and birds shot over them because my business is a hunting preserve (www.shepodyhuntingpreserve.com if you want to check it out).

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:55 pm

I am buying perfect start/Finish myself. But Delmar Smith is one of the leading trainers for the hunter. I think both would be a exellent buy and you wont be depressed with either one.

O ya welcome to the forum.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 pm

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:41 pm

Good Eve Mike,

1st and most important, let me welcome you to the board. Pull up a chair and your favorite beverage.

You might take a look at the Gun Dog Forum Store below, http://www.gundogforum.com/index.php?page=store
and you will find that Grant is offering the "Perfection" videos as well as Mason Creeks videos.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 am

I do suggest the Perfection Kennels videos, as you've already found out. Watch them long before you start training your pup, and then refresh yourself with them just before you start.

The first step is for training the trainer, and the second step is for proofing the trainer. Only then can you train the dog. And even then it still might require some help. There's only so much you can get from a video, because, try as they may, no video can cover EVERY situation.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 am

Ayres wrote:The first step is for training the trainer, and the second step is for proofing the trainer. Only then can you train the dog. And even then it still might require some help. There's only so much you can get from a video, because, try as they may, no video can cover EVERY situation.
Thats what GDF is for isnt it?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 pm

By "require some help" I meant a professional trainer. Not so much for the dog, but to mentor. A pro trainer can tell and explain to a handler what little things the handler is doing or not doing with the dog, and can really refine the training to get the most out of a short amount of time.

I am, of course, not saying that someone can't train their own dog. Just pointing out that with some aspects of training the advice of a pro that actually sees the dog can be very worthwhile.

Asking a question on GDF usually gets good replies, but some things are just bound to get lost in translation. Especially when dog training terminology isn't the clearest thing to begin with.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

PheasantHunter

Post by PheasantHunter » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Thank you all very much for the replies! I have to admit, at this point I'm leaning toward the perfection video set because it's my gut feeling AND most of you guys endorse it...

Thanks again...

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Just remember that your dog won't progress as fast as the dogs in the video. Jon Hann moves the video along by progressive steps, but he works with the dogs several times between progressions. Don't get ahead of yourself thinking that every day your dog is ready to learn something new. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com