How many hunters with 2nd season GSP

KarlW

How many hunters with 2nd season GSP

Post by KarlW » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

My 2 year old GSP and I are looking forward to his second season (and first REAL season...last year was all for fun). My hunting partner wanted to bring out another one or two hunters other than the two of us. In my typically grumpy way, I complained that three or more hunters would just add confusion to a dog that is just getting his self-confidence plus it would encourage him to range to far for what I want. To me, 3 or 4 guys abreast just encourages a young dog to range too far and next thing you know he's chasing running pheasants 300 yards out!

So, am I right in keeping the number of hunters to one or two or is three or more ok? For the most part I hunt alone or with one other hunter. Am I on the right track or should I just pack my attitude for a while! ;-))

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: How many hunters with 2nd season GSP

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 am

You're right on track. You and one guy is enough. And don't shoot at wild flushes.

Doug

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am

You are absolutely on the right track. I would probably even prefer to hunt him by myself for a while, so I could concentrate more on the dog instead of how many birds are put in the bag.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:32 am

birddogger wrote:You are absolutely on the right track. I would probably even prefer to hunt him by myself for a while, so I could concentrate more on the dog instead of how many birds are put in the bag.

Charlie

And I like to hunt with one or two others so I can concentrate on the dog and let them do the shooting if needed. I think you can hunt as many people as you want after the first year but it is all determined by what you like. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I think it makes a lot more difference to the hunter than to the dog.

Given your concerns, limit the number, and enjoy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 am

Agree with everyone else. Choose your hunting companion wisely. You don't want anyone that is going to help handle you dog for you. And you shur don't want a trigger happy guy that shoot's when you don't want him to. It's all a big hoot till your the one that owns the dog! More care must be taken in choosing a hunting partner than in choosing a wife. You could divorce your wife, your hunging partner you'd have to shoot on the spot!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
birddogger wrote:You are absolutely on the right track. I would probably even prefer to hunt him by myself for a while, so I could concentrate more on the dog instead of how many birds are put in the bag.

Charlie

And I like to hunt with one or two others so I can concentrate on the dog and let them do the shooting if needed
. I think you can hunt as many people as you want after the first year but it is all determined by what you like. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I think it makes a lot more difference to the hunter than to the dog.

Given your concerns, limit the number, and enjoy.

Ezzy
the bolded is exactly what I have done and am doing this season, my English Setter is only 9 months old. He needs my attention, IMO

heck I haven't even taken my own gun out yet ....

anb

Post by anb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:59 am

Agreed. It can be handy to have another shooter with you, so you can focus on what the dog is doing and be able to read him/her better. Definitely DO NOT take people/person that is more worried about shooting birds than helping you with your dog. Some people will get frustrated and try to have the dog do different than how you want to hunt your dog. This is confusing for the dog and VERY frustrating for you. You want more of a back-up than a take-charge! Sometimes I dont even bring a gun with me, so I can pay more attention to the dog, more than once I have split up with my fellow hunter/s because of them being frustrated with the young dog and trying to get her to hunt different. Guess who found all of the birds? :lol: