AKC Naming process???

GA1dad

AKC Naming process???

Post by GA1dad » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:44 pm

Is there anything that needs to be considered when coming up with an official AKC name? I see lots of crazy stuff out there. Should official names come from little peices of their pedigree? Or can it be some off the wall stuff that you thought of while on acid at woodstock back in the day. I ask only because I just purchaced my first purebred dog. Never had to give a fancy name before.

Jason

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:54 pm

Generaly it goes dams kennel name then sire kennel name then any name generaly litters go with a theme.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 pm

You name the dog whatever you want as long as you don't go over the number of letters allowed and you don't have an agreement with the breeder. As you can see there are few kennel names used in most of the trial dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm

Take a look at your pedigree of your dog

In my last litter i have a dog named Tequila Joker which was a great dog then there was also another HOF dog that was named Scipio spinks plus my kennel name

so I name one of my pups

K Nine's Scip'n Tequila

and the other after a line in the everly brothers song going along with the Joker theme

K Nine's Johnny Izajoker

My avatar His name is K Nine's Beeline Bullet

his sire is Nolans Last Bullet from Beeline Brittany's
Nolan Huffman

Or you can name them anything you want as stated that you stay with in the limits of the AKC now if you have a dog that is dual reg like with FDSB you have to stick with three names or less and 21 letters or less
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GA1dad

Post by GA1dad » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:39 pm

So if I'm considering getting into breeding, should I also consider my future kennel name when naming my pup? So as to remove myself from previous breeders and lay the foundation of my own stock?

Hope that reads like I meant it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:56 pm

If your planning on getting serious about breeding a kennel name it is a consideration to put to your pups name
Like I did I mixed the kennel from which i got my dog from and/or added a foundation part of a name to put together a name

this way people who know breedings can relate to the name of your dogs breeding
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:56 am

the AKC has a process for reserving kennel name's to one particular kennel. however, part of the rule is that the kennel name cannot be an English word. I use "Willows" for example. But I could not register that as a kennel name with the AKC. if you are planning ahead, you might want something completely fanciful and inventive.