Pigeon training

redman25

Pigeon training

Post by redman25 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:05 pm

About to start my 4 month old gsp on pigeons, and was wondering what the transition is like for a dog from pigeons to wild game birds...quail, grouse, etc..... Is it fairly seamless, or should I try to acquire some pen raised quail before I turn him loose on wild birds? I'm new, as if that wasn't obvious.

Brittguy

Re: Pigeon training

Post by Brittguy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Easy transition . Just watch that the dog does not crowd the pigeons.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks. I'm excited to get going!

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:22 pm

the only thing i have seen with the pen raised birds from pigeons transition is how the dog handles a bird that is now able to run and relocate. i personally put them on a few game farm birds before i run them on wild birds just so i can see how the dog will do on a bird that is mobile. if your dog is not 100% steady, a bird that wont hold will, like a pheasant as compared to a pigeon, will show you where maybe some more work is needed. personally, this is why i put them on a few game farm birds so if there is further training needed i can see it before i get to the wild birds. good luck. 8)

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Sometimes a young dog that's only seeen pigeons will lose it when they get into quail, especially a covey. Just go back to the basics if this happens and you shold be okay.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 pm

His first run on wild birds will likely be on ruffed grouse. Should be interesting........

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 am

I don't know how grouse compare where you are to the ones I'm used to hunting...but beware. Tough birds for a beginner upland dog...tough tough birds.
If you were talking Oregon ruffed grouse/blue's, I'd say suggest some barn birds or canned style hunt for a hunting introduction, or a juicy quail spot. But I've never had an opportunity to hunt grouse out east where perhaps the circumstances are far different.
Either way best of luck! Take pictures :D
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 am

I'll definitely take plenty of pics.

Does anyone have any suggestions on trapping wild pigeons. I can get pen raised quail, but at 8 dollars a piece it's not very economical for me at the moment. I've found a few areas with wild pigeons though. I live in the suburbs, so setting up a loft isn't in the cards until I sell and move. Any ideas at all are welcome......

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Pigeon trap, they sell 'em on this website too I believe. They work great, you leave the bobbin door open for a week and feed cracked corn then drop the door and they'll walk right in. Check to make sure it's legal, I've never heard of anywhere it is not since they're not native, but ya never know with the crazy laws they've got now.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Find where they roost and get a net with a long handle