how to get a pup fired up

sjperry

how to get a pup fired up

Post by sjperry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 pm

I have a six month old yellow lab who is almost too laid back. He is great with obedience and pretty good with retrieving. When I tease him with a bumper and do everything in my power to get him roweled up he'll run pretty hard to retrieve it (not a sprint by any means), and bring it back. If I have him sit and not break then he retrieves but at an even slower speed. Before I really work with him on not breaking I want to make sure that he is ready. I have tried using different kinds of bumpers, tennis balls, and have even tied mallard and woody wings to the bumpers and this seems to get him a little more excited. He does get a lot more excited when I let him retrieve dead ducks after morning hunts. He was definitely not the alpha of the litter and is low key, but I am hoping that I will be able to get him more excited about retrieving. Any pointers or insight for a first time dog trainer?

Maurice

Re: how to get a pup fired up

Post by Maurice » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Clip wing pigeons will get his motor running. Find a steady source for birds.

Mo

bwear

Post by bwear » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 pm

birds birds birds maurice is right tease with a pigeon and watch him get fired up

mmannuzza

Post by mmannuzza » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

No doubt about it. Pigeons will get it done.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 pm

If you try different methods to get his prey drive up and it won't work then you may have a familiar medical problem in that occurs labs. Thyroid issues. Talk to your vet and tell him your issues and concerns. He may have a common thyroid problem and it is correctible and worth correcting in a young dog.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 am

Birds like already posted are an excellent idea, also you may be giving him too many retrieves, be careful not to throw too many, always leave him wanting one more retrieve, 2 or 3 tosses are plenty every couple of days until he has the desire.

QwikDraw

Post by QwikDraw » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:12 am

I agree with winchey, don't overdo it. 3 or so throws a session will be fine right now and you might want to forget making him stay and sit and let him him break for right now untill he gets "fired up". If you do choose to make him steady now, give him his 3 throws and then give him a couple "happy bumpers" to end the session. Happy bumpers are a good way to keep the spirit in the dog after training sessions, make sure you get fired up yourself with some hay, hay, hays, getting pup excited, throw the bumper and let him break and go after. No training/no commands, just fun and a few loud attaboys.
Some wing clipped pigeons should also help.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I know alot of people preach early obedience, and some are dead set on early steadying right from the bat, but I don't know about doing that with a dog like you describe. I find it much easier to get a dog fired up with a dummy or bird if you allow him to jump at it and act like a fool. I can see steadying a hard headed, or a dog with a lot of fire from the get go early as it would be harder to steady him later after you let some bad habits develop. But in a case like yours, until he loves his job you don't really have anything.