GSP trained on pigeons, not working pheasants

dw97224

GSP trained on pigeons, not working pheasants

Post by dw97224 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm

I have a 4 yr old GSP I inherited and he went through junior hunter and has no training since. I took him in the field and he walks over pheasants and quail, and I was wondering if he would even point, so I took him to the original trainer and she had him in the field with trapped pigeons and he immedialtely pointed them. How do I get him interested in pheasants and other game birds?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP trained on pigeons, not working pheasants

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 am

Wow really...well as a junior hunter he hd to have some exposure to game birds. If you are saying he points and you have lots of wild birds keep taking him out, he will figure it out. If not. Go buy some chukars, pheasants or quail and plant them where you know they will be and check cord your dog in a cross wind, when he catches scent make sure he stops on point. When he starts acknowledging and pointing on his own shoot him one...that will fire him up and then you can probably begin on the next problem which will be keeping him honest on them.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 pm

I think he just needs more exposure to those birds and a little praise when the bird work is done and he has pointed the game birds.

I had the same problem in the reverse. My dog originally trained on game birds and then switched to pigeons. It took him a time or two figure it out. He points pigeons well now, but never with the same intensity of game birds.

brandon

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Shoot 1 down for him that will more than likely turn the light on. I am assuming the dog is good with the shotgun, gun intro other than a balnk gun.
Mo