how much $ to FF

Mollyontherun

how much $ to FF

Post by Mollyontherun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:01 am

I was wondering how much I should expect to pay if I have a trainer FF my 2.5 year old GSP?
Should I expect a trainer to guarantee she will fetch? Upland? Waterfowl?

At this time Molly will find dead and crippled birds and mouth them. Occasionally we can encourage her to fetch the birds.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: how much $ to FF

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:40 am

Look at The trainer first. Then look at his reputation.. then call some references. Then think price. I have seen 2 dogs in the past year that a guy has FF and they will run back to the truck if he let them out... trying to scratch their way back into the kennel.

I'm getting my dog FF'd but by someone with a proven track record even though I have to drive 300 miles to his kennel.

Through my research in so cal it will range from 600 a month to 1000 flat rate.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm

there is a local retriever trainer who charges a set $400 to FF a dog which is basically his monthly rate, that covers board and training, he charges the same if it takes a week or 6 weeks. truthfully if youve got 15 minutes a day its not really a terrible process. I FFd my lab when I was in college every day before I went to class......
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:53 am

$400 is on the very low end. 600-1000 is a better likely hood. In my opinion FF correctly and all the way through is rarely finished in less than a month. If they do finish that fast, they are often pushing the dog hard or not transferring enough at the end. I mean there are ALWAYS exceptions and dogs that do move quickly through it. But it is not something to be rushed. And most trainers I know are closer to 500 - 600 a month for training so if you expected 6 weeks or so, you should expect at least 600 dollars. Some do have a flat rate, some do not.

Mollyontherun

Jim...

Post by Mollyontherun » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 am

truthfully if youve got 15 minutes a day its not really a terrible process. I FFd my lab when I was in college every day before I went to class......
Jim

Jim,

What resource (book, DVD, Website) did you use to FF?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Your looking at about $600.00 a month. It'll take two months. That will be obedience and ff. Can't very well ff without obedience.

There are no guarantees. If YOU don't reinforce the ff, he probably won't retrieve for you, only for the trainer.

If the dog doesn't have retrieving desire, no ff program in the world will make him into a reliable retrieving dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm

4 to 6 weeks if all goes well, my trainer charges 600/month.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 am

1-2 months depending on the dog and $500 per month is probably an average price and duration for a pointing dog....labs can usually be done in 1 month but sometimes pointers take longer as their natural retrieve and natural instinct to carry things in their mouth isnt as strong as a most retriever breeds but it shouldnt take more than 2 months max....