Live bird training

cdsanto

Live bird training

Post by cdsanto » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I am new to the hunting game and very new to the dog training game. I have a 7month old fox red lab that i have been training and is going very well i think lol. In all the books i read they say to do live pigeon training (playing fetch with a winged bird) I live in Ontario Canada, i was just wondering if anyone new the legal issues behind this. My wife is not impressed at all about this idea (probably should have not even said anything). I dont have a problem with this but was just wondering the legal problems this might have on me.....not very humane in some people eyes.

thanks

ricoboxing

Re: Live bird training

Post by ricoboxing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:01 am

just don't do it at the park where theres a bunch of treehuggers having a picnic and you'll be fine. I introduced my dog to live pigeons at some baseball field, but it was early in the morning so no one was around.
I love Hawaiian Barbecue
http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.ca

Ryman Gun Dog

Re: Live bird training

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 am

cdsantos,
Check out your game laws and abide by them, not sure what the Canadian game laws say, about using live birds for training. However here in Pa, USA we are allowed to train year round with different live birds, that are not considered Pa Game birds. We can also train with game birds during their hunting season, or on a Regulated Shooting Grounds. Chukars here in Pa are not legal game birds, and can be used as training birds year round, however Huns are on the no shoot list, and can not be used for training birds, without a special license. All this is written into the Game laws, your Canadian game laws will probably spell this out also.
Here in Pa there are also Game laws that keep the anti-hunting crowd in check, might want to check your Canadian laws on this also.
Good luck with your training
RGD/Dave