quail wings

flats1

quail wings

Post by flats1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Does any body know were i can get some quail wings for training my dog? Thanks

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:40 pm

what kind of dog are you going to train with a wing?

What kind of trainING will the wing be used for?

flats1

Post by flats1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:47 pm

It will be used for a GSP.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:56 pm

with pointing dogs I would play wing on a string one time get a point and throw it away

You'll only promote sight pointing if done more then that
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

flats1

Post by flats1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:03 pm

So i don't need quail wings to train my dog?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:18 pm

having the wings attached to a live quail will be much better

and pigeons

you may want to do a search for a bird dog club in your area..or a preserve many of them have training groups which get together to train young dogs and keep the older ones in check

plus the ideas and help from the websites
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:19 pm

How old is your GSP?

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Yes, attached to a live quail. :lol: :lol: Don' t mess with wings.

OhioOnPoint

Post by OhioOnPoint » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:56 am

You could strap a wing to a retrieving dummy if you like. Not for point type training, but for soft mouth, intro to feathers, etc.

In general, these guys are right. Sight pointing is not what you want. It is amusing at first to see a young pup point on site of a wing, but leads to trouble later.

If you can't find any birds at all, I would use a fresh/frozen wing as opposed to a dried wing. When a fresh wing thaws, it still has alot of scent. I can send you as many as you need if you pay the shipping.

flats1

Post by flats1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:15 am

I have live quail but i thought i needed to introduce quail wngs before the live quail.

I can not found any clubs or keenels or anything down here in FL. I'm about ready to give up.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:22 pm

dont give up. take your pup for a walk where there are birds let him find them on his own. he may even point them. dont let him get exausted from running keep the time short he will build enthusiasm for the birds he finds. keep quiet and let him learn to hunt this is the one thing you CANNOT teach a dog is "HOW TO HUNT". Just keep it fun for pup

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:30 pm

there are several pointing dog clubs in florida here are some clubs affiliated with the AKC

http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.c ... Timeout=45

there is a couple contacts here that will probably suit your needs

http://navhda.org/chapters.html

flats1

Post by flats1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks would it be better if i hid some live birds in the bushes and let her point them?

SHE is about 4 months old.

parshal

Post by parshal » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:18 pm

Yes, assuming she can't catch them.