Another lab question??

srs

Another lab question??

Post by srs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

First I would like to say thank you for the responses that I got from my other questions but I have some more. Where should I be at 4 months? Basic commands are down good, still working on "come" off lead a little. She sits, stays and retrieves well with a bumper for awhile and then losses a little interest so I dont push that much more than about a half dozen times. With a toy that she is really into she can go for awhile with good excitement. Is this about right for 4 months? should I be well onto something else? I understand all dogs are alittle different but was wondering if this sounds about on track? What would be the next step? I know I need patince but maybe im behind. I feel like Im kinda in a rut. And I really mean that I'm in a rut not so much the pup. I have used several books but I guess Im just looking for some advice. Thanks for any help. Also I meant to say I have already slowly introduced the gun to her with a very good response but havent really worked it into training yet. Thats alittle hard to do were I live beacuse I have to drive a ways to do that. Anyways any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Another lab question??

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

nope,your doin good.....

I would be just bonding, teaching house manners and taking fun walks and doing fun stuff....

you could try retrieveing a favorite toy in a hallway to get her to bring back to hand, keeping it short a sweet.

you could also find some clip wing pigeons or pull flight feathers on a couple quail or chukars and get her bird crazy.....
I would not push it with the gun until you have a bird crazy pup. There is plenty of time yet before formal training and real gun intro.

Have fun and bond, and get her loving feathers, with little pressure......resist the temptation to over train or go to fast.

Have family on the same page and no tug of war......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

srs

Post by srs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks birddog, that is exactly where Im at. A lot of bonding and having fun with short training sessions. She has the retrieving a toy down very good and really enjoys it so I guess Im moving along ok. What would be the best way to intoduce her to a pigeon? Also I should have a few duck wings in the next week or so, should I strap one to a bumper and maybe get her alittle excited about that? Thanks again for info.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:50 pm

duck wings are fine, some dogs will want to chew the wings and not bring in the bumper....not really necessary but if a duck wing works and she retrieves than all good.

I clip or pull the primary feathers from a bird (pigeon , quail or chukar) and let her maul it if she isnt intimidated...if her interest is low you can wave it back and forth across the ground to get her excited...give it a toss and she may bring it back to you...a dog with a good intro to feathers and high prey drive is going to be a joy to train and forgiving of some mistakes on the trainers part.

I like pigeons and chukars as they are a little bigger and will hold up better to a pup, she won't be as tempted to try and swallow it right off.....if her drive is lower I tend to dizzy or rough the bird up a little to have it more subdued on her first exposure. same thing tho, give her a hup hup hup (get her excited) and wave it back and forth across the ground...if she is raring to go give it a toss.....again short and sweet ending on a good note is best.

if you can, (not sure where you live) save a whole duck for her to play with, buffleheads , ringnecks and teal work great, being a little smaller than a greenhead.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Prettyworkindogs

Post by Prettyworkindogs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Birddog
You should get paid to do this stuff.... :P
BB
The good news is your right

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Prettyworkindogs wrote:Birddog
BB

Wonder who you are :mrgreen: Stayin warm I hope :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
BB

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 am

dudleysmith wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:
BB

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Labs bore ya Dudley :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno