Starting to work with a mature dog?

KelseyCooke

Starting to work with a mature dog?

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello,

I am starting (well wanting..) to work on pointing with my Epagneul Breton (her lineage carries many champion hunters), and I was wondering if anybody else has ever worked with a mature dog? She is currently five years of age.
She already points to everything and anything that crosses her past, but she does have problems with guns.

Any help is appreciated.

-Kelsey&Liberty
Wit is a sword; people are meant to feel the point as well as see it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Starting to work with a mature dog?

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Since you know there is already an issue ..
and you are just beginning I would look to someone where you can go get some hands on help

There is so much we can put in writing but the one thing where words Fail is how to read a dog and when they are ready for something new or if they aren't ready at crucial moments

Good Luck

AS long as she is excited about the scent of birds you should have plenty to work with and the drive and desire to get over the sound of the gun if handled and introduced properly :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:04 pm

I am contacting her breeder right now (he said I could take her out any time with him if I would like).
She is a very excited dog, it's like a little kid at a birthday party.
Wit is a sword; people are meant to feel the point as well as see it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm

KelseyCooke wrote:I am contacting her breeder right now (he said I could take her out any time with him if I would like).
She is a very excited dog, it's like a little kid at a birthday party.
That sounds like a perfect idea

Take some pics and share the day with us
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm

I seem to keep ending up rescuing or adopting my birds dogs. My last one was adopted at the age of five. She's a pretty darn good bird dog now, and she just turned nine. Although she does have her issues, all I can say is you can "learn an old dog new tricks", but it takes a little longer to do everything and you have to be patient. Very patient. I'm no expert on fixing gun shyness, but I will say whatever you do, take it slow, and make gunfire a positive experience at every opportunity.