Gun Dog Trainers - The Cream of the Crop

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun Dog Trainers - The Cream of the Crop

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:I tought Chris worked for McCann. When did you start raising pigeons?

Coveyrise64
Chris has had Red Dirt Chessies for a couple of years at least. He hits a lot of the hunt tests with client dogs.

"My" pigeons are the ones that live along the highway. We trap at the body shop and a mini-storage. I can't get my trapper to go into Cloud Nine and ask permission to get on their roof. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RVBrittHuntr

Post by RVBrittHuntr » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Nolan Huffman without a doubt

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:31 pm

I belonged to the Duluth Retriever Club for a time & fellow members spoke very highly of the retriever trial grounds on the Iron Range.

CR64 - Sorry, I'm not a breeder and don't need any PR. I have however hunted with a AA National Champ, trained by field trial trainers, owned by a former long time NAVHDA & AF guy. Spectacular bird work. BTW - I'd be happy to review whatever documentation you have concerning the inability of trainers of field trial dogs to produce trained wild bird hunting dogs, negative PR if you will. :P
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:05 pm

BigShooter wrote:CR64 - Sorry, I'm not a breeder and don't need any PR.
Coveyrise64 wrote:You think if I was a field trialer and trying to sell pups I'd fill out a survey and not say that I didn't hunt my trial dogs.
I don't think I was talking about you as a breeder, please read my posts before replying.
BigShooter wrote:I have however hunted with a AA National Champ, trained by field trial trainers, owned by a former long time NAVHDA & AF guy. Spectacular bird work.
I'm sure he is a good dog if you hunted behind him. That's one out of how many? With the risk of death, injury, or losing their dog I would doubt many of the "field trial trainers" you listed actually hunt their trial dogs. Amatuer owners and handlers on the other hand are a different story.
BigShooter wrote:BTW - I'd be happy to review whatever documentation you have concerning the inability of trainers of field trial dogs to produce trained wild bird hunting dogs, negative PR if you will. :P
Coveyrise64 wrote:I own a few GSP's that have more than "enough run", I like the fact they have some hunt in them as well. Probably why field trial trainers aren't on my list and many others.
Again, read the post, you're trying to turn this around. I don't think I said they weren't capable of training a dog. More than capable in most regards. The problem is they aren't very accessible or affordale for the average owner/hunter/handler. Probably why none were mentioned prior to your listing.
BigShooter wrote:working daily with & learning from a "gun dog trainer"
Since my circle of friends is small compared to others here, is a difference between a "gun dog trainer" and "field trial trainer"?

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:34 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
BigShooter wrote:CR64 - Sorry, I'm not a breeder and don't need any PR.
Coveyrise64 wrote:You think if I was a field trialer and trying to sell pups I'd fill out a survey and not say that I didn't hunt my trial dogs.
I don't think I was talking about you as a breeder, please read my posts before replying.
The response was after a BigShooter quote and included your response
Coveyrise64 wrote:I don't have much confidence in your surveys......PR and you know it.
Please read what you wrote more clearly next time & consider how the response may be received and interpreted by others. I responded to you and to others after you quoted me & followed up by saying the surveys were mine & they were PR.
Coveyrise64 wrote:
BigShooter wrote:I have however hunted with a AA National Champ, trained by field trial trainers, owned by a former long time NAVHDA & AF guy. Spectacular bird work.
I'm sure he is a good dog if you hunted behind him. That's one out of how many? With the risk of death, injury, or losing their dog I would doubt many of the "field trial trainers" you listed actually hunt their trial dogs. Amatuer owners and handlers on the other hand are a different story.
I wrote pretty clearly:
BigShooter wrote: the vast majority of the owners of GSP field trial dogs all hunt them.
I talked about the owners. For some reason you wanted to change that to talk about the trainers. I have no idea how many of the field trial trainers own trial dogs and hunt them. Apparently you don't either:
Coveyrise64 wrote:Since my circle of friends is small compared to others here

Coveyrise64 wrote:
BigShooter wrote:BTW - I'd be happy to review whatever documentation you have concerning the inability of trainers of field trial dogs to produce trained wild bird hunting dogs, negative PR if you will. :P
Coveyrise64 wrote:I own a few GSP's that have more than "enough run", I like the fact they have some hunt in them as well. Probably why field trial trainers aren't on my list and many others.
Again, read the post, you're trying to turn this around. I don't think I said they weren't capable of training a dog. More than capable in most regards. The problem is they aren't very accessible or affordale for the average owner/hunter/handler. Probably why none were mentioned prior to your listing.

BigShooter wrote:I dunno maybe folks just thought they didn't have "enough run" in them to try and hang around some of the better field trial trainers for a month!

Again you might carefully read the actual post. "Maybe folks don't think they have enough run in them(selves - added for clarity) to try and keep up with some of the field trial trainers for a month!"
I said nothing about enough run in the dogs and that would make no sense with the rest of the sentence.
BigShooter wrote:working daily with & learning from a "gun dog trainer"
Coveyrise wrote:Since my circle of friends is small compared to others here, is a difference between a "gun dog trainer" and "field trial trainer"?
I think you are missing a word in the last sentence. If you want to be considerate of others, why don't you PM me offline if you have any serious questions or issues to discuss because most of this back & forth tripe is just meaningless banter for the rest of the forum members.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:22 am

Been pretty meaningless for me too.....

Coveyrise64

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 am

Here's one I forgot, he's a member of GDF and has helped numerous people with training. Years of expereince with pointing breeds and retrievers....

gonehuntin'

Coveyrise64

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Just read a nice article in the Christmas issue of the field about Hoyle Eaton, I think it would be great to go work with him or Ferrel Miller for a summer.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Charlie Rose was a pain in the pettutie on the forum periodically but I'd be real interested in working with him for a month with the background & experience he's had as a breeder, trainer & guide.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I spent a couple hours with Jonesy this past summer and would love to have a month to watch him work. I would also like to spend some time with Mo Lindley, and Ben Williams.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Rick and Brenda. Been there. Will be back in mid-Jan. Great people in addition to being great trainers and breeders.

Not mentioned here very often, but Denny Keeton is a good trainer and handler that is easy to get along with. Like Rick and Brenda, when I'm at Denny and Linda's, I feel at home. Love 'em dearly.

Other folks that I'd like to train with would be Mo and Jonesy.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Mark Payton and Jonsey would also be good to watch and learn from.

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Rich Robertson for me. You better be in shape mentally and physically if you want to stay and play a month. Early mornings and late nights. Lots of hours in the saddle. You'd come away a cowboy and dog man. What a wonderful trainer. Go spend a day if you ever get the chance! Heal teach you more about yourself than the dog... Truly good people right there. :D

Ryan.

Plus there record speaks for itself. The elite.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

BigShooter wrote:Charlie Rose was a pain in the pettutie on the forum periodically but I'd be real interested in working with him for a month with the background & experience he's had as a breeder, trainer & guide.
I'm sure you could learn a lot from Charlie but you need a tough hide. :lol:

ksbirddog

Post by ksbirddog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am

I agree with your comments on GGeorge Hickox. I've trained with him as well. The first help with training, however, was Delmar Smith and he was also good.

4dabirds wrote:I did 2 seminars with George Hickox I enjoyed the first one so much I went back for a second time. Now my only problem is my dog is doing so good i might have to make up a training problem or two to tell my wife so i can go a third time. If money was no problem I would like to go to a smith clinic just to see what the difference is between them. Knowledge is great and any opportunity like this should not be missed. Oh and how about spending some time with Shawn Kinkelaar he has campaigned the Purina top shooting dog of the year eight out of the last ten years. I think I need to retire so I can get on with my hobby. Any suggestions on how to get that passed the wife.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm

I would personally love to work with Steve Reis of top gun kennel or with Clyde Vetter with Sharp Shooter. Been to a training clinic with both of these guys and learned a ton in the short amount of time. It would be amazing to work with them for a month.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Retriever side.....Mike Lardy most definately
Last edited by lvrgsp on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 am

Pat Waresk, Terry Chandler, Rich Barber, Keith Gulledge

I would love to follow Pat around and watch him do his thing. I have been to his place and saw firsthand the dogs work in his field. He is one genuine nice guy with a lot of know how.

The guy runs Odysey in MO is another due to the DC dogs he has brought along. It is where that fritz dog is from I belive.Terry Chandler is another DC trainer I would love to hang around with.

Lets not forget some of the older guys like Paltani, he was good. Used to be a guy north central nebraska had some good blood but expensive, used to see him at the eat um up place in town. Was a nice person to speak to.

Guy named Marty was a trainer in the 70s and 80s lived in CB ia, got my first hege haus bred from him.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Any of the trainers mentioned would be worth paying to train with, but Ferrel Miller would be at the top of my list.

I do not like how he handles a dog in a trial, and for sure I don't want him teaching me morals, but the man knows dogs.

And I think, if you asked you could spend a few days with him, he is very gracious.

Keep in mind that I have spent time with John Rex Gates, D. Hoyle Eaton, Wilson Dunn, Buddy Smith, Joe Walker, Randy Downs, Ike Todd, all three Holmans, Rick Smith, Shawn Kinklaar, Chuck Stretz, etc; and consider them all friends, but Ferrel is at the top of all dog men.

Neil

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 pm

110% Chris Goegan @ hipointkennels.com

Works hard and is very honest. Your dog will be worked and not just left on the stake out or in the kennel. Doesn't feed you a bunch of excuses or lies. Good honest hard working trainer using Top Notch methods to create success.

Robert Grove

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Bill Gibbons and Calvin Blackburn.

Doug

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 am

Reading through the post, I did not see anything mentioned about John and Cindy Hann, Perfection kennels.. Ive been to a clinic or two and really like his way of training, i think they are great with their dogs and have results to back it up. Any others know of them or agree??

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Gary Lester

Terry Chandler

Bob Stitt
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 am

uplandrsb wrote:Reading through the post, I did not see anything mentioned about John and Cindy Hann, Perfection kennels.. Ive been to a clinic or two and really like his way of training, i think they are great with their dogs and have results to back it up. Any others know of them or agree??
Has anyone had any experience with this trianer?? Just curious on the rusults or opinios.

Thanks

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:42 am

uplandrsb wrote:
uplandrsb wrote:Reading through the post, I did not see anything mentioned about John and Cindy Hann, Perfection kennels.. Ive been to a clinic or two and really like his way of training, i think they are great with their dogs and have results to back it up. Any others know of them or agree??
Has anyone had any experience with this trianer?? Just curious on the rusults or opinios.

Thanks
He used to participate here some. I've met him. Heard comments on his methods which are not for me at all. Too many birds and too much rote drilling, drilling, drilling.

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am

Here's the key for success with dog trainers
Works hard and is very honest. Your dog will be worked and not just left on the stake out or in the kennel. Doesn't feed you a bunch of excuses or lies. Good honest hard working trainer using Top Notch methods to create success.

Robert Grove

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
uplandrsb wrote:

Thanks
He used to participate here some. I've met him. Heard comments on his methods which are not for me at all. Too many birds and too much rote drilling, drilling, drilling.
I was under the impression it took birds to train a bird dog and that dogs learned through repitition. I met him also, and kind of like his methods.

Coveyrise64

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 am

I was at a seminar last summer, and the trainer said never take a dog to a trainer unless it has been used to being staked out. Because if haven't had time on a stake it makes them much more difficult to train.

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
uplandrsb wrote:

Thanks
As far as training, i dont know how you can have to many birds if its done in the correct way.. I have seen the vidoes and do like his methods but i think where your point may be in the resources to have access to that number of birds wheter it be $, land, availability of birds, etc.. However in any training your do, drilling and repatition is what makes them solid.

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Bill Gibbons and Calvin Blackburn.

Doug
I am training with Calvin Blackburn tomorrow morning! He has taken me under his wing. :D

I am truly one lucky guy!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
I was under the impression it took birds to train a bird dog and that dogs learned through repitition. I met him also, and kind of like his methods.

Coveyrise64
It takes birds, but I'm not in the market for a rope-toting pigeon hound. I've also found reinforcement seems to add a lot to the learning process. :) We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64
It takes birds, but I'm not in the market for a rope-toting pigeon hound. I've also found reinforcement seems to add a lot to the learning process. :) We'll see in a couple of weeks.
Still experimenting I see....... :mrgreen: Repitition - reinforcemant, whats the differnce? You should have stayed for day 2 of the seminar or get the Perfect Finish DVD, he transitions to quail in that one. Actually, I think there is one scheduled for this year.

Coveyrise64

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64
Still experimenting I see....... :mrgreen: Repitition - reinforcemant, whats the differnce? You should have stayed for day 2 of the seminar or get the Perfect Finish DVD, he transitions to quail in that one. Actually, I think there is one scheduled for this year.

Coveyrise64
Seminar? Didn't go. I met the man at a field trial. As far as experimenting, like I said, we'll see in three (had to look) weeks. If someone remembers to send in the premiums, that is.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Jonesy and Mo. Have had the good fortune to train with them both at seminars.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 pm

V-John wrote:Jonesy and Mo. Have had the good fortune to train with them both at seminars.
+1 and I think Jonesy is planning on being in Missouri this summer.

Coveyrise64

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 am

I would personally love to work with Steve Reis of top gun kennel or with Clyde Vetter with Sharp Shooter. Been to a training clinic with both of these guys and learned a ton in the short amount of time. It would be amazing to work with them for a month.
I would second that and would like to spend some time learning a bit from Steve Reis or Clyde Vetter or Rick and Brenda from Walnut Hill think all those have proven themselves time and time again as pro trainers and would like to get a chance someday to learn a bit from them..

Also I dont think they train others dogs I dont believe, but would love to get a chance to learn a little from gpblitz (Howey) or Donny from friedelsheim someday, think they should both consider getting into training others dogs ( if they dont already ) I dont think they do ??? But would enjoy learning a bit from either of them guys someday...

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:17 am

Sigbot Winterhelt
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com