LILLY'S First "real" training a success

Lilly_The_Lab

LILLY'S First "real" training a success

Post by Lilly_The_Lab » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:47 am

She did well on her first off the trail training/hunting trip, a buddy and I went out. I followed you guys advice and left my shotgun at home and had my buddy take his. I was focusing on Lilly. She got on one grouse but it heard me tell her to Hunt em up and giving her commands. The grouse moved from the brush pile She took me too. We were about 15 yds from it and it took off. I messed her up by giving her commands and not seeing that she was actually hunting a "bird". She was really birdy a few minutes before and led me to the brush pile. I was excited but optimistic. She proved me wrong. When She got "Birdy" ducked her shoulders low and nose deep to the ground and kept picking her head up and zigzagging to find his scent. Her tail wagging picked up and sniffed very intently. When it took off my buddy shot and she ran right after the shot but Mike missed. I called her back and she went right to where the grouse had been hiding and sounded like a vaccume taking it in. We got another one up but I don’t think she knew it was there. She did follow to where it was hiding after it took off and again got birdy. I now know how she acts when she is on a real bird. She also pulled away to about 20 yards when hunting wich is also a plus to previous sessions. I will keep her in the woods and off the trail as much as i can. As well as on my buddies farm wich is stocked with pheasant.

What a treat it was seeing her hunt. If I would have taken my gun i may have been more focused on shooting the grouse than picking up her "clues" I have a dummy grouse I would toss out and my buddy would fire into the air. She would then go out and retrieve it. I am SO GLAD i listened to the advice you guys had gave on leaving my gun at home.

On Sunday I took her for a walk just to keep her in shape and let her a day of rest from birding. I have been practicing antler-shed retrieving with her as well. She brought me an old deer shoulder bone, and at another spot found about a 3 year old deer skull. I hope this is a good sign and once the deers horns start coming off maybe during my grouse training time she might find me a real shed. I would be pumped. This weekend was her first real off the trail hunting/training and she had success. I am loving watching the lightbulbs go off when she picks up new skills. I really think i have a great dog and will contiue posting to you guys for advice. Thanks for all of the help.